Welcome to the
Telkom Community

Get involved. Problem solved.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

4mb adsl line Uncapped

Currently paying for a 4mb uncapped line and speed test showing speeds of Download - 3.40Mb , Upload - 0.4Mb  and Latency 120ms.

• When downloading small or large files, watching movies/series online, showmax, dstv, Youtube etc. my actual download speed im recieving is only 450Kb/s MAX.
  • I was told by telkom consultant that it has to do with the hosting server im using to download etc seeing that the speed test is successful and nothing is wrong with the speeds. Well i beg to differ.
  • Correct me if im wrong, but if the exchange server or hosting server is the problem causing the very low download speed then surely this speed of 450kb/s should differ from website to website and not have the same average. 
  • I was given a test account to setup with my router but had the exact same speeds and once again the consultant tried convincing me that the problem is not telkom based, but it is that of the servers i am using to download or stream. 
  • I am getting exactly 10% of what im paying for. What is happening to the other 90%? I am not being credited for the loss. Something drastically needs to be done to resolve this as this query has been open for 1 week already.
  • Absolute nothing is being done to rectify this problem as the ball is being thrown into my court everytime a consultant call's me.
Valued Contributor

Re: 4mb adsl line Uncapped

Hi @aliursben

Apologies if I’m misunderstanding your question, but your speed test result 3.4mb looks pretty good to me. Our old adsl 4 mbps line supported max 1.7 mbps D/L at best , streaming wasn’t an option until we eventually changed when fibre was available.

Important when testing your Internet speed: don’t use the Internet for anything else while you're testing it. This will draw bandwidth from your line while running the speed test and obscure your results.

Before you run a speed test just double check you have no downloads, other programmes, or processes running in the background, such as windows updates, iTunes , antivirus, or of course any streaming.

International servers are also limited by the amount of bandwidth they are able to receive and send. It is therefore unlikely that you will achieve the same results on an International speed test as you would from local servers.

Hope this helps.

Frequent Contributor

Hi Kathy1 I think the poster is talking about the "450Kb/s MAX"

But you're correct he needs to make sure that nothing else is hogging the bandwidth; gaming, torrenting or Microsoft updates.

Speed test only downloads a small file both ways which isn't a good indication of overall speed.

4mb adsl line Uncapped

Dear Telkom,

I am going to say this once and ONLY once. Please attend to this matter urgently as this problem has been going on since inception of this contract. I am however also not getting any correct answers from either one of you. I have initiated this fault and thought that reporting this would give you an idea of what i am experiencing. I formally invite you to my home for you to have hands on experience of what i am experiencing. If i am paying for a 4Mb line and the max speed i am getting as per every download, streaming (locally & Internationally), downloading large or small files, even with one device connected to the wifi, i am not getting a more than 450kb/s download speed. Surely if the problem were to exist within the server I am downloading from, the this speed should differ? If you calculate this you would see that my max speed is about 10% of what i am paying for. I cannot believe that not one person/consultant nor a techician has been to my home yet in order for me to have you get hands on experience of what i am experiencing.

I will say this one more time.

Speed test shows Download speed - 3.14mb/s
Upload speed - 0.20mb/s
Ping/Latency - 30ms

My ACTUAL download speed max:

Download speed - 450kb/s MAX

I trust that i can rely on the speedy response of telkom before proceeding to the Ombudsman for further investigation and interference.

Kind regards

Alicia Benjamin-George

Dear Telkom,

I am going to say this once and ONLY once. Please attend to this matter urgently as this problem has been going on since inception of this contract. I am however also not getting any correct answers from either one of you. I have initiated this fault and thought that reporting this would give you an idea of what i am experiencing. I formally invite you to my home for you to have hands on experience of what i am experiencing. If i am paying for a 4Mb line and the max speed i am getting as per every download, streaming (locally & Internationally), downloading large or small files, even with one device connected to the wifi, i am not getting a more than 450kb/s download speed. Surely if the problem were to exist within the server I am downloading from, the this speed should differ? If you calculate this you would see that my max speed is about 10% of what i am paying for. I cannot believe that not one person/consultant nor a techician has been to my home yet in order for me to have you get hands on experience of what i am experiencing. 

I will say this one more time.

Speed test shows Download speed - 3.14mb/s
Upload speed - 0.20mb/s
Ping/Latency - 30ms

My ACTUAL download speed max:

Download speed - 450kb/s MAX

I trust that i can rely on the speedy response of telkom before proceeding to the Ombudsman for further investigation and interference. 

Kind regards

Valued Contributor

Hello Alicia @aliursben

The community forum is not manned by Telkom support agents . We’re customers like you - with no other link to Telkom.

Your line is 4 mbps, and speed test results show 3.4mbps & 120 latency , but you said “When downloading small or large files, watching movies/series online, showmax, dstv, Youtube etc. my actual download speed im recieving is only 450Kb/s MAX “ .

I understood from this that your slow speed tests may have been run while your bandwidth was busy running other downloads.

If that’s not the case I'm afraid I don't understand enough about the issue to help.

Your next best option is to log a fault for a Telkom technician to attend . Then post your fault ref, details, and copies of your slow speed tests on a media support channel - their teams are most effective for rapid response and problems resolved satisfactorily in good time :

Facebook: TelkomZA
Twitter:   @telkomza
and email the same to support@telkom.co.za

Regards,
Kathy

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@aliursben - hope I can help. Your problem seems to be one of unit conversion. You mention two measures 3.4 Mbps and 450 KB/s ... contrary to popular belief these metrics are not the same thing and ie. not directly comparable. The full names hide the complexity you are comparing mega bits per second to kilobytes per second. There are 8 bits in a byte - generally I don’t even try to do the math as there are many converters on the internet - https://www.gbmb.org/mbps-to-kbs - according to this 450 KB/s is equal to 3.6 Mbps!! No problem there. Hope this makes sense and helps
Found the answer to your question? Don't forget to Accept the Solution! 

Did you like someone's contribution? Give Kudos where Kudos are due!

Just because something doesn’t do what you planned it to do doesn’t mean it’s useless. – Thomas Edison (Inventor)
About This Post
  • 6 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 Contributors