Welcome to the
Telkom Community

Get involved. Problem solved.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Established Member

9.2Mbps on Afrihost. 2.1Mbps on Telkom on same ADSL line?

I upgraded from 2Mbps to 10Mbps line. 10 days ago. 3 days later my sync speed when connected with my Telkom username and password went up but i could see no difference in speed on www.speedtest.net. I was still getting around 2.1Mbps dowmstream and 0,5Mbps upstream which dropped to below 1Mbps downstream during peak periods. I reported this to Telkom 9 times and was transfered back and forth between sales and tech support but no sollution could be found.

To prove that it was not a line quality problem I got a prepaid 1GB from Afrihost and BAM! In excess of 9.2Mbps down and 2.1Mbps up day and night!!!

So definitely the copper is not to blame. But where is the problem then? Telkom tech support doesnt seem to know how to solve this. I dont want go around shouting and dancing and burning things, i just want the speed i am paying for. Please put me in contact with someone that knows which switch must be switched and which button must be pushed..

There should be a law against call centres. They are the single biggest cause of poor service

Regular Contributor

Re: 9.2Mbps on Afrihost. 2.1Mbps on Telkom on same ADSL line?

@bitelec1, I will assume you have uncapped? In terms of speed, there are 2 aspects of a service that affects speed, ADSL Line and ISP account.

1. Your ADSL Line was upgraded to 10mbps (evident that Afrihost runs at full speed)
  2. Your Uncapped ISP account also needs to be upgraded to a 10mbps account (this is still restricting your 10mb line to 2mbps)

Contact Telkom again and get them to also upgrade your ISP account to 10mbps. Rather try Facebook (Telkomza) or Twitter (@hellotelkom)

Established Member

@thesuspect Hi

No i took the Telkom Do Premium package with 100GB. 

You are 100% correct that the problem is with the ISP account. The challenge is to find someone who knows how to rectify it. I have made more then 12 calls to Telkom so far and have contacted them on FB . i have been sent from pillar to post between Sales and Technical upport.  They keep on sending technicians to my home to "fix the broken phone" and then cancel the fault reference log when i tell them the problem is not the line. I has been "escalated" to "back office" and "high level support" but as these departments cannot afford their own phones or email accounts they cannot be contacted directly to follow up or provide more details. May we live in interresting times......

Frequent Contributor

All I can suggest is that you go into a Telkom mananaged shop and see if they can help you. I had a similar problem and the shop was able to help.

The phone technical support was useless.

Also try unplugging your modem from the power and plug it back in so that it resyncs and see if that helps

I still have the same problem after 3 months now. The sad part about everything is, that telkom doesn't see these posts and that the people that are emloyed at telkom, go on a 3 day course, then they are qualified as a technician and knows everything. I even posted on hellopeter, and everytime they send the same dumbass to my house and all he want to do is test the phone line and numarous times i told him that the phone line is not the problem. now after 3 months my speed went from 3.8 to 0.04 and after some time to 2.14. this is the best i can get it.

Hope you get your problem solved much quicker than I did

Moderator Moderator

@Leeuseun & @bitelec1, The Community is a Peer 2 Peer support site for members to be able to help each other, so we are not manning it as a service channel. If the Call Centres are frustrating, we do have other channels such as Facebook (telkomza) and Twitter (@hellotelkom). Please ask them to upgrade your ISP (TIN)  account

output_Svao80.gif
Highlighted
Established Member

@NC thanks f. or response. Getting someone to do thie TIN upgrade is the challenge. nobody at Telkom seems to know anything about this. what i need is a contact for someone that knows of its existence and how to do that upgrade.@NC thanks f. or response. Getting someone to do thie TIN upgrade is the challenge. nobody at Telkom seems to know anything about this. what i need is a contact for someone that knows of its existence and how to do that upgrade.

About This Post
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 Contributors