Welcome to the
Telkom Community

Get involved. Problem solved.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted

ADSL Sync issue

i wish Telkom / Openserve can do their work properly .. i logged a call on 6 June 2018 ( my issue started before that ) my adsl line keeps losing sync every 20 - 30 min .. when logging the fault was another story .. issue is you get a msg to say fault resolve and case close yet it is actually worse now . and best is if they start telling you old copper cable wont work with new hardware they install at dslam / exchange not my problem .. fix old cable or bring fibre but dont come with bull****  i have change my hardware etc still .. SO FIX MY STUFF -- and stop telling me distance **** have this telkom line for 5 years + ,, house have not move same distance as before ..

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Re: ADSL Sync issue

Hi @sproetjies

So annoying when they close faults without decent feedback. Sorry we can’t assist much re service issues , we’re customers in the forum with no other link to Telkom . 

Could you post a few more details re what you may have checked so that we can try to help while you wait for a technician. There are a few things you could try your side to see what might be wrong.

On speed tests is your line syncing at the speed you pay for  ?  (between drops ! )

Is there any noise or crackling on your phone line ?

“Losing sync every 20/30 minutes" suggests your sync drops may be triggered by some sort of automated process ; when it's happening, line drops, in between, all is well. Most of the time it's fine, so when Telkom test the line and it's fine, they tell you it's "resolved".

One possible culprit is a home burglar alarm system that periodically "calls home" on the line. The alarm installers may connect to the line in a hidden place as close to the pole as they can, so that it's less likely to be cut by intruders; if done outside a visible wall jack, it may be missed when setting up ADSL and fitting POTS filters between non-ADSL devices and the line.

Or might be exchange congestion if  : -

Deterioration of line speed and performance without normal ‘line fault indicators’ (i.e. high attenuation, line noise  )

High latency ( PING) to destinations on the local internet. Typically most ADSL services would not exceed a 50ms ping to destinations inside the country unless line conditions are sub-standard.

Good luck . hope this might be some use  - please keep us posted.

Highlighted

Hi ... i have change filter .. adsl router .. change telephone cord etc
... so from hardware point of view everything replace .. now i am waiting
for telkom to join the party and they sooooooooooooooo slowwwwwwwwwwwwww ..
thanks for trying to assist
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Hi again @sproetjies

You’re welcome . thanks for update & sorry nothing worked .

If you’re still battling keep hammering the support channels with detailed emails for escalation. That worked for us.

Good luck -  hope they come to the party soon , let us know what happens .

About This Post
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 Contributors