Important! Community will be closing.

Please go to gethelp.telkom.co.za
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted

ADSL cuts out at 7pm every night

My ADSL works fine during the day. However every night at almost exactly 7pm the speed drops to almost zero - it can take 40 minutes to open a wikipedia page, and I cannot receive email at all - although I can usually send email quite normally. It comes back on at 5am, and then is perfect through the day. I have even sat up to 5am to test this. My ISP (MWEB) says everything is fine on their end, and Telkom says the line has been tested and is fine - although they only test during working hours, which doesn't really help me. Ports have been refreshed and lines have been swept and nobody can find diddly. Apparently this kind of thing indicates a problem at the Telkom exchange - but they don't seem to know how to deal with it. I have been reporting this for about two months, and the ladies on the helpdesk are great, but all they can do is "escalate the matter to the supervisor", who perhaps one day will "assign a technician". Meanwhile I work from home, and I often have to communicate with clients after hours, and I urgently need a solution that works. Am I the only person in Joburg who is having this mysterious problem? Does anybody out there know how to fix it please?

Highlighted

Re: ADSL cuts out at 7pm every night

[ Edited ]

Hey @wdford

I experienced almost the same problem on my side(i live in Cape Town) and the place i went to fix my problem 

You came to the best place for assistance and advice , Telkom Communtity is already the place to be with great people and Great minds!

Highlighted

Thanks. I went to mybroadband.co.za and saw nothing that could help me. Please could you give me the contact details for Charl?

Highlighted

why dont you just use the 

• Chat to an Agent (an online chat with a Telkom representitive) (it worked perfectly for me)
Highlighted
Established Member

Been trying "chat to an agent" for a few days.....that screen connects for abotu 20min, then it says gettign ready and then back to connecting.

Yesterday had a guy on after I had it open for more than an hour....he asked soem details and said he will pause the chat fo 2 minutes and it went back to supplying your details

Highlighted

@rikuwessels i understand your frustation , did you try using the other options available? 

instead of getting frustated try putting yourself in there shoes , it is the bussiest time of the year and they are getting flooded with requests they will get back to you believe me! 

Highlighted

[ Edited ]

Hi wdford

I have the exact same problem, its the exchange that you connected to its congested.

Only way for that to go away is if people in your area stop using telkom or if telkom upgrade it.

i am trying to find out what the process is to upgrade the exchange, once i find out i will let you know

Highlighted
New Contributor

@wdford , Has your problem been solved it is quite a way down the line since you reported your problem.

It could very well be that you have a shutdown timer set on your router. If not solved yet I suggest you Login into the router and check it.

I endeavor to assist in application of Computer technology where ever I can assist.
Highlighted

I have been experiencing a Telkom shut-down every night for the past month or so.  This is very strange as it affects both my ads like like he and my voice line. The service goes off until about 7:30 am the next day. During the day the service is reasonable. Please help as I've had no success with contact with Telkom m as the line seems to be functioning fine when they contact me. 

Highlighted

I have the same problem except its at 5:30. I have had this since the 15 June. I have phoned at leadt 20 times I have gone into the store. I have had 7 technicians come to my house. No one knows whats wrong. I am Gatvol. What can I do

@wdford wrote:

My ADSL works fine during the day. However every night at almost exactly 7pm the speed drops to almost zero - it can take 40 minutes to open a wikipedia page, and I cannot receive email at all - although I can usually send email quite normally. It comes back on at 5am, and then is perfect through the day. I have even sat up to 5am to test this. My ISP (MWEB) says everything is fine on their end, and Telkom says the line has been tested and is fine - although they only test during working hours, which doesn't really help me. Ports have been refreshed and lines have been swept and nobody can find diddly. Apparently this kind of thing indicates a problem at the Telkom exchange - but they don't seem to know how to deal with it. I have been reporting this for about two months, and the ladies on the helpdesk are great, but all they can do is "escalate the matter to the supervisor", who perhaps one day will "assign a technician". Meanwhile I work from home, and I often have to communicate with clients after hours, and I urgently need a solution that works. Am I the only person in Joburg who is having this mysterious problem? Does anybody out there know how to fix it please?

About This Post
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 Contributors