Telkom Community

Get involved. Problem solved.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ADSL download speed too slow

[ Edited ]

I have a 4 mbit line (4 down, 0.5 up).

With a speed test the ping is fine (15 - 30ms), download is 0.5, and upload is 0.4.

So my download is way too slow.  No, I am not being shaped, I have tested with 3 ADSL accounts (Openweb, Mweb, Afrihost).

Apparently something is wrong on Telkom's side, it doesn't even show that my modem is syncing with the DSLAM server,  but I just don't hear from anyone.  All you get is:  "they are looking at it".  We can't pay for a service but then you only hear DAYS later from testing centres and/or technicians.  How is work suppose to continue in the mean time?

This speed problem started a few weeks ago at my local exchange and it seems that things are not getting better.

So what is one to do?  Move away from Telkom?  Reading these forums are so discouraging when you realise we all are struggling with the same issues:  terrible call centre service, terrible service from the technicians in the field.

Kudos to all who are actually getting helped, and kudos to those Telkom people who are actually doing their jobs and are trying to help.  As for me, I have been a (fairly) happy customer with ADSL where I am now for a decade, but as of late things are going down the tubes, and I am not getting the service that I am paying for.

Leaving Telkom looks more and more like the only sane option one has left (and not that they would even care, there are tons of other peeps just lining up to also spend their money on a service which is not always worth spending money on).

New Contributor

Re: ADSL download speed too slow

Hi, 

in my honest opinion I would attempt asking for a port recreate. (not a reset, a recreate) thereafter if the problem persists, it would be better to get the ASSIA protocol disabled and the fastpath re-enabled, (you can do this by emailing support@telkomsa.net or messaging telkom on their facebook page - Friend did this and was helped within 30 minutes)

If none of the above options worked for you, it could be that the exchange in your area is too congested or too far from you and cannot offer anything better, in which case their LTE and 3G options would work better, in most cases, wireless would be safer as it's slightly cheaper and the WISP focuses more on service delivery and maintenance. They always try to ensure high uptime and most larger WISPS run on Fibre from other suppliers.

[ Edited ]

A port recreate has been done (and yes, not the reset Smiley Happy ).  It is also not a distance-from-exchange scenario, seeing that I am 700m from a UMC box in the suburb.

I haven't explored this part  yet -> "ASSIA protocol disabled and the fastpath re-enabled".

I will do so and see what gives.

If I don't come right local wireless (and not 3G/LTE, but wireless with Fibre infrastructure) seems like the only viable option then left for me.

Thank you for your response.

New Contributor

There are a relatively high amount of fibre and wireless providers to choose from, vox offers a good variety for the joburg area, and they have a very good rating on MyBB, I'd suggest seeing them if fastpath doesn't help.

Thanks again!  I am however in the sticks, but I hear only good things about Breedenet so will give them a shot if this Telkom thing is not working for me anymore.

Just an update to my saga.  At the call centre they can't even see that I am synced with the DSLAM server.  They tell me to switch my modem on Smiley Happy

But, I am connected, on my side it syncs.  I get online with an Openweb, Mweb and an Afrihost account.  With all download speed is 0.5 instead of the usual 3.5avg (4mbit line).

Only resort is a technician must intervene now.

The saga continues.

New Contributor

Probably need T2 support if they can't see you on the DSLAM. 

Ask them to switch you to a different DSLAM or port.

Highlighted
Moderator Moderator

Hi @sukkel_sukkel, please private message your fault ref to me. I will get them to look into it.

output_Svao80.gif

@NC I sent you the fault ref number via private message.

[ Edited ]

@Haiku_za you make it sound like one can call (that is initiate the comms from MY side) to communicate to T2 support.  How does one do that?

I ask that tongue in cheek of course, because apart from calling callcentre (and I've even gone to the local walk-in store which was even of less help), who else can one really get hold of directly from MY side?

On the upside, the local Wireless company came today to do a site survey, so I might very soon find myself in a situation where I have rid myself of all my Telkom woes (terrible though that I was fine on their ADSL network for almost 13 years, and only now things are starting to fall apart where the ADSL itself is crap, and the local technician service is even worse).

Oh, and did I say that it will be 6Mbps DL, and 1.5 UL?  Smiley Happy  Will cost about R500 more p.m. than my current ADSL costs (Line rental, ADSL Faster, and ISP accounts).  And yes, unlike Telkom ADSL your transfer rates are ALMOST what you pay for (just did a speedtest at one satelite office where I am using the same Wireless company and for a 4Mbps DL, 1Mbps UL the result is:  15ping, 3.93Mbps DL, 0.97 UL).

About This Post
  • 22 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 Contributors