Welcome to the
Telkom Community

Get involved. Problem solved.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Accepted Solution

ADSL in Barrydale?

Does anyone know if Telkom has ADSL available in Barrydale?

Re: ADSL in Barrydale?

Hi bassermann, 

Welcome to the forum Smiley Happy 

Checkout this link to see if your area has ADSL - so simple! http://www2.telkom.co.za/checkadsl/check.htm

Highlighted

Hi Quint77,

Thank you very much for the link, it is helpful to an extent. The problem with the ADSL Checker is that it doesn't seem to be reliable. I have entered addresses in different towns that I know for a fact to have ADSL, however the checker says :

ServiceNot Available

What it does say about Barrydale specifically is :

Maximum speed available in your area4 (Copper)

Does this mean that ADSL is available in the area but the ADSL Checker is somehow not getting the specific address right? Also, am I correct in assuming that the 4 (Copper) means that the maximum line speed is 4 MB a second?

Occasional Contributor

[ Edited ]

@bassermann Your results seem to be conflicting ... showing NOT Available and then giving you a maximum speed??? When I check a random Barrydale number picked from whitepages.co.za (023 551 ....)  it shows DSL 4Mbps AVAILABLE. An alternative to ADSL Checker  is Telkom Coverage but it is not showing any results for Barrydale. 

If your checker gives you the option to "order new service" I would give it a shot and see what I get.

4Mbps is not the same as 4MB per second. 1B (byte) has 8b (bits) - so 4Mbps is 0.5MB per second. But remember based on a number of things - distance to exchange, quality of line (signal to noise ratio), congestion, etc - a 4Mbps line will hardly ever give you the full download speed. You will most likely get around 3.4Mbps max, and could be lower.

@bassermann wrote:

Hi Quint77,

Thank you very much for the link, it is helpful to an extent. The problem with the ADSL Checker is that it doesn't seem to be reliable. I have entered addresses in different towns that I know for a fact to have ADSL, however the checker says :

ServiceNot Available

What it does say about Barrydale specifically is :

Maximum speed available in your area4 (Copper)

Does this mean that ADSL is available in the area but the ADSL Checker is somehow not getting the specific address right? Also, am I correct in assuming that the 4 (Copper) means that the maximum line speed is 4 MB a second?

Hi bassermann, 

I would not worry too much about if the service is "available" or "not available" - your main concern would be the speed that you can get. I have previously ordered a service that said same as yours: "not available" yet I was able to get the service Smiley Happy 

So give Telkom a call (10210), let them send a technician to determine if you are able to get ADSL. 

Also, to go on what Jkjakes said. Your distance from the exchange will basically determine EVERYTHING. You might be able to get 4Mbps (theoretically) but distance from the exchange means you can only get 2/3 so best to order the service, let Telkom send their technician and hopefully get connected Smiley Very Happy 

Thanks Jkjakes and Quint77 for the detailed answers Smiley Happy.

I will take the advice and just order the service and hope for the best as it would appear that Barrydale does indeed have ADSL, I'll just disregard the Not Available status.

By the way, this forum is extremely useful, you guys have answered my questions quite thoroughly and quickly, thanks very much!

About This Post
  • 5 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 3 Contributors