Welcome to the
Telkom Community

Get involved. Problem solved.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ADSL line speed upgrade issue

I requested a line speed upgrade on my home dsl .The line speed was on 4mb with line attenuation of 17db and SNR of 27db+ constantly and distance to exchange +- 1.2km . with my att en snr looking so flippen good I requested my line to be upgraded to 20mb VDSL.

When telkom did the line speed upgrade on the 17th of this month to 20mb vdsl everything went to sh*t ....my line attenuation went from 17 to 25 and my snr dropped from 27+to less then 6 and it obviously caused connectivity issues .

I phone telkom numerous times to see what the hell the problem was = nothing.

Techies came or tested it and even did an investigation that took couple of days and a repair for the fault I logged will be completed on the 24th of this month.

Got home yesterday and what do I find...everything is dead ...phoned telkom again and they reopened the fault.

I just spoke to a techie 30min ago and he can't figure out what is wrong because it should be syncing and have an snr of way above 6 and the speed should be way above 8mb and the strangest part is my dl speed is 8mb and my upload is 4mb...a very "strange line" his words so he said he did everything he could.they gonna monitor it for the day and see how it performs which I can tell you is gonna be sh*t becuase my snr is bordeline 6 and it isnt even during peak hours.

Now I want to know what can cause a SNR drop from 27+ to less then 6? i know when upping your speed of the line it drops but this dratically?!? impossible!

There should be something else wrong and if the techie doesn't know... what the hell am I suppose to do?

I am looking for advice/ideas please so i can relay it to the techies to assist them otherwise this sh*t gonna take years if ever to fix.

Valued Contributor

Re: ADSL line speed upgrade issue

Hi @talic

Really frustrating that so much depends on tech’s experience,  hope you have better luck with next tech . Have seen VDSL upgrades suddenly syncing properly after a few days … and others end up reverting to ADSL (and waiting for fibre).

If you’ve already confirmed your router / splitters / filters all fine & VDSL compatible , VDSL is definitely supported from their exchange,  and Telkom confirm no line fault …  then if you haven’t done so, ask 10210 tech. to check the router configuration , change line modulation to VDSL(PTM), recreate your port,  and  resync at 20Mbps VDSL .

more info here might be useful : - 

https://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php/942473-Change-20mb-ADSL-modulation-to-VDSL

https://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php/939575-ADSL-to-VDSL-Upgrade-procedure

Hope this helps, good luck - let us know what happens .

update : the problem I have with my line is still unchanging , but I noticed a few strange things. when the line is set to 20mb vdsl (confirmed with telkom that it is indead vdsl modulation) it stays at 20mb with snr of 10(which is really low from what ive read) or below for few hours then at 17:00 it drops and the system tries to lowrr my speed but the snr doesnt change it stays at 6 roughly and drops like 5 times an hour until 9pm and my routers stats show a **bleep** ton of errors all over the place like 8mil correctable errors in 2 hour period and around 20000 uncorrectable errors and also HEC and all those errors , even when the speed is lowered by the system to 5mb in some cases the snr is still bordeline 6. when i phone them to switch it to 12mb it syncs with snr of 27+ with almost no errors.

a techie came to my house on friday and told me that the line clear from exchange to my side so they gave me router to monitor it over the weekend...same sh#t. i feel like they are missing something simple and they are looking in the wrong place for the fault.the techie will report to his supervisor so i can expect feedback around christmas time...

edit - after 9pm the system doesnt correct itself and doesnt switch my line back to the proper speed and it hovers around 8mb with snr of 6-7 and i still experience sync issues.
Valued Contributor

@talic

Dropped packets ( uncorrectable errors on router stats) is likely bad line quality,  but exchange congestion could also be a factor.  Hope you see some joy from the supervisor , if not ask them to escalate to the area Telkom Network Manager. 

Line tests apparently don’t indicate packet loss.  You might get more ammunition here  https://testmy.net/auto  for techs to identify the problem from your own report of the sync issues over 24 hours.

I understand a speed downgrade is sometimes necessary to restore decent sync if the line won’t support faster speeds. 

Established Member

I'm having the same problem.I've upgraded from 10mb Upcapped ADSL to  20mb VDSL/ADSL. Must say got upgraded in 3 hours.

Yes miracles does happen. Did a speedtest using my old modem DSL-2750U, went like a bat out of hell at 17mbs and SNR 213.

Needless to say I was HAPPY. Come 2 days later ,only syncing at 10mbs Smiley Sad SNR 64

Then came the new router " Dlink DSL -G2562" oo was I excited now we will be back on track surfing the tsunamis of the telkom internet.

Just find out to my disappointment that now I'm only suncing at 5Mbs.After numerous testing I came to the conclution that the new Router

must be the problem. Replaced it withthe old router and was back to syncing at 10mbs and 215 SNR.

Since then I can't get more that 10mbs even if i'm PAYING for 20Mbs. Smiley Frustrated

Established Member

Issue Sorted for now. Telkom Chat service Helped me.

Had to re-create my port and that fixed the problem. Hope this lasts. Thanks Telkom Support

Valued Contributor

Hi @Corra , 

Thanks for your input & great to hear you came right -  your update will help others .

Hi @talic

Hope they've sorted out your connection - if not, maybe worth a double check that techs recreated your port at the exchange ?

Highlighted
Established Member

[ Edited ]

@Kathy1 wrote:

Hi @Corra , 

Thanks for your input & great to hear you came right -  your update will help others .

Hi @talic

Hope they've sorted out your connection - if not, maybe worth a double check that techs recreated your port at the exchange ?

Yes Thank you , I got Tech Support to create my port and syncing at 20Mbs again. Now i'm a happy camper Smiley Happy THANKS

About This Post
  • 8 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 Contributors