Telkom Community

Get involved. Problem solved.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Established Member

ADSL problems caused by new Telkom system DSMS

Since the middle of December 2015 I have been subjected to constand dropping of one of my telkom adsl lines, and irratic sync speeds.

The line is a 10MB line, and ran fine for around 2 years up until December last year. After logging a complaint with Afrihost they provided the following

The change in your sync rate (6400 kbps) is due to the following; when Telkom rolled out a new dynamic spectrum management system (DSMS), in other words, Profile Optimization system is designed to automatically administer ADSL services – ensuring they run at their maximum possible speed while remaining stable

This is consistent with the complaints expressed on the MyBroadband article about this same issue

http://mybroadband.co.za/news/adsl/122012-adsl-problems-caused-by-new-telkom-system-isps.html

I have logged 5 - 6 faults regarding this, and every consultant with whom I have spoken with claims that this is the first that they have heard of the issue, or the system in place. The port is re-assigned at the exchange or reset and the line resyncs at 10mb down and 1mb up but then within a few hours it gradually drops sync speed down to around 5mb ps down and 200kb up.

I am getting frustrated with this degredation of service and contstant call logging to get my services back to what they used to be.

It seems that with every call logged the delay in getting the issue resolved increases.

Another odity is that I have another dsl line connected to the same physical line and this line is not affected by this.

How do I get this feature removed off my account?

Frequent Contributor

Re: ADSL problems caused by new Telkom system DSMS

@UncaPaul is this the same as your favourite ASSIA system ?

Found the answer to your question? Don't forget to Accept the Solution! 

Did you like someone's contribution? Give Kudos where Kudos are due!

Just because something doesn’t do what you planned it to do doesn’t mean it’s useless. – Thomas Edison (Inventor)
Established Member

I believe it is, different abbreviations for the same retardeding system
Moderator Moderator

ASSIA will attempt to stabilize and improve the line. At times, if it is not successful, it is most likely a line condition that needs to be physically repaired by a technician. Please log a fault and allow this process to happen. Having the call centre change your sync speed back up won't resolve your issue as the system will revert back within 24hrs. The fault needs to be repaired.

output_Svao80.gif
Established Member

ASSIA will attempt to stabilize and improve the line

My 10mb line ran at 10mb's without any issues for 2 years. The saying goes, if it aint broke then dont try fix it.

Having said that, I've logged 6 faults with telkom since December and the outcome is always the same.

The line syncs for 10mb's for a few hours and then starts to drop and with each drop the sync speed is reduced.

There have been a few occasions where it has been that bad that my upload sync speed has been set at 64kbps.

The system is not working at all. Yesterday I was subjected to a line which would not sync at all. My router logs showed 27 disconnects within a period of 10 minutes.

Where to from here, and why dont the Telkom employees at the call center know about this marvelous system?

Established Member

And the process starts all over again.

Telkom technicians close the call and state that the issue has been resolved and I am still subjected to a service which is not working as a result of Telkom's implimentation of a service / feature which does more harm than good.

Established Member

@shabsta - Just out of curiosity... If you were to try another ISPs free data (either Webafrica or CrystalWeb), are the results the same?

Webafrica Free Data - (https://www.webafrica.co.za/home/adsl/ - Select 1GB, and hit Order Now - Easier)

CrystalWeb - (http://www.crystalweb.co.za/free-trial.php - Hit Sign Up, Follow Prompts - Make sure it account stays on free trial)

And is the other line also on Afrihost as well? Can your adsl account configuration (that you are having issues with) be re-created to replicate the other ADSL fixed at the same physical address that is syncing properly?

Established Member

@turpsicon

I have two lines, both lines are with Afrihost.

1 x 10mb

1 x 6mb

The 10mb line is the one which is playing up, and it has nothing to do with ISP's

I use crystalweb and axxess and the issue is the same across both isp's

I've swapped routers on both lines and the 10mb has the same issues irrespective of ISP or router.

The problem lies with Telkom - no where else.

PS - I would rather shoot myself in the foot than use WA

Established Member

@shabsta - Oh ok. Was just curious. I remember a while back I had sync issues as well. I was with Webafrica and they also did the following:

- Port Reset (Didnt help)

- Port Re-Assignment on the Exchange (Helped a bit)

- Account Re-creation [On Telkom's side] (Helped a bit)

I am less than 4km from my exchange.

I can't unfortunately remember exactly how they did the account re-creation on the Telkom end, as it was 2 years ago. Since then, I haven't had any issues.

PS: Webafrica isn't that bad (7/10 overall), although I'm leaving them as well the end of this month to CrystalWeb. (It's a long story)

Established Member

@turpsicon Thanks for the feedback. Crystalweb are good and you wont have any issues with them. Only reason I moved away from them was to go onto a cheaper axxess package.

@NC My line speeds are terribly slow and I have not had any response from my previous PM to you.

My 10MB is still syncing at a myserable 6-8mb with an upstream speed of 244kb - 500kbs

Speed tests on the line have returned a shocking 2mb download.

I need to get to the bottom of this, could we get the suggestions made by @turpsicon done to my line?

About This Post
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 Contributors