Welcome to the
Telkom Community

Get involved. Problem solved.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Activating telephone & ADSL on new connection

I would like to get a little help. Im moving into a new flat. The block is newly built and the developers have been awesome enough to wire the flats with phone lines.

What I would like to know is what I can expect to go through in order to get a phone number as well as an internet connection. I have checked and there is a 40mbps exchange serving the block.

Thanks, 

Highlighted

Re: Activating telephone & ADSL on new connection

@rdnyc wrote:

I would like to get a little help. Im moving into a new flat. The block is newly built and the developers have been awesome enough to wire the flats with phone lines.

What I would like to know is what I can expect to go through in order to get a phone number as well as an internet connection. I have checked and there is a 40mbps exchange serving the block.

Thanks, 

Hi rdnyc, 

Welcome to the forum Smiley Happy 

You have done the most important step so far to getting connected - well done! Now all you need to do is contact Telkom( 10210) and apply for a new line. You will receive a SMS with a reference number, they will then contact you to setup an appointment for when they can come to you premises and do a "scope" to determine if you will actually get that magical 40Mbps. Once this is done, they will activate your line and you are then connected to the WWW Smiley Very Happy.  Just note this whole process takes anywhere from 5-21 working days! 

Do you have a router? You will need to get an VDSL router - they don't come "cheap" so check around - I bought mine from www.dbg.co.za and it got delivered the next day!

Have fun with that 40Mbps, I got mine about 3 weeks ago and its literal heaven! 

About This Post
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 Contributors