Welcome to the
Telkom Community

Get involved. Problem solved.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Been Having very High Ping With Adsl for the past two weeks. Telkom is unhelpful

For the first time in 8 years ive been having very high Ping lately , ive alwasy tested my adsl line and the Ping has never gone above 20ms. Nowadays it goes to 850ms, 500 ms, 250 ms , 380 ms. This speedtest is being done to very close servers in my area the ping should not be so high. So anyway a technicain came today when i wasnt avaialble he told my doestic worker everything is fine and they resolved my issue. I go test it a few hours later thinking everything is okay then 350ms to local servers. I phone telkom up the lady says to me they cant do anything and ping doesnt matter as long as i can reach websites, how idiotic. They dont even know what ping is, so they say it my fault that the ping is high and i must pay for a technicain haha gosh hellkom. Then i phone again a guy tries that nonsense tests switch modem on and off then redo speed test ping is 500 ms. This has never happened before, i gruantee you come to my neighboiuhood and speed test other people adnsl lines they have low ping, doesnt seem Telkom is taking me seripusly and have no idea what ping is. Anything bwelow 100 is good for gaming , 500 and 800 is insane. I can provide many many screenshots i have taken on my ipad.

Regular Contributor

Re: Been Having very High Ping With Adsl for the past two weeks. Telkom is unhelpful

@Pravesh7, check your router for your SNR and Attenuation stats. Also, check if your POTS filter hasnt gone on the blink.

• SNR should be > 10dB
  • Attenuation - the lower the number the better (higher indicates further from exchange)

Otherwise you need to relog the fault and hope you are home next time.

Re: Been Having very High Ping With Adsl for the past two weeks. Telkom is unhelpful

Thanks but how do I do this ? Do I go into my router with the 10.0 method then look at the stats ?

Thanks but i cant find these things, ive logged into my router and dont knw where i find snr and Attenuation. You could be right maybe?  ive done some googling its signal to nosie ratio and sync speed .It sucks that someone on a forum knows more than the telkom technical support. Althought the high ping happens at Random times, sometimes its high at night sometimes only in the day. Never had this before , this is not normal despite what telkom says high ping is bad. My cousin and friend in the same area have 10 ms and stuff . Something is wrong .got a messsage by someone via Email they have been " testing" my line. Ive been hearing this for 20 days now. I have no faith anyone will get back to me. tell me is there any other SA ISP that offers Lines or where i dont have to deal with Telkom anymore? because i phoned MWEB and their Techincal Support Seemed knowledgable the guy at Mweb said ping should be below 100ms, i want out of Telkom im fed up . 3 Weeks now and im struggling with High ping. 

Regular Contributor

@Pravesh7, On my Netgear I find these stats in links under Maitanence called Router Status -> Show Statistics

Some ISP's give you a free 1Gb account to test speed with. It is a good indicator if the problem is with your ISP or on your line.

Try the Openserve Speedtest. First test with your ISP, then reconnect with their Openserve Guest Account, and compare the results. If the Openserve is fine, then it is your ISP. If both have high latency, report your line fault again.

http://openserve.co.za/open/speed-test/

Hi yes I also thought  it was Telkom as they are my ISP and Line provider but I tried a trial with MWEb and the ping was still 384ms , I think something is wrong at the exchange . It sometimes goes low as 10ms but this is only after 12 am then again for another 8 hours or so the ping goes over high like 400 and 500 ms and such I have taken a lot of screenshots anyway  it goes back to normal at around midnight . This never happened before and it isn't normal .

Regular Contributor

@Pravesh7, the fact that it seems to improve after 12am sounds like that exchange could have congestion. You need to report the fault again. These can be quite frustrating because they need to assign more badnwidth to the exchange and takes a while. Keep pressing them

A guy Phoned me from telkom and said i must google teh solution or try a diffrent ZROuter then they closed the fault . He Said High Ping is Normal because School kids are on holiday. I give up with these idiots.

Can you help me read this?  people suggested i do a tracert http://imgur.com/09TGgl4

About This Post
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 Contributors