Get involved. Problem solved.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Established Member
Accepted Solution

Copper ADSL no longer viable can't switch to Fibre

I initially made an inquiry to Telkom's 10210 sales whether our household is viable for Telkom fibre. Over the last year Octotel has been trenching and has completed their work 3 months ago and even though their (Octotel) website indicates that the fibre is ready and that all that is needed is an ISP to bring the fibre into the home and shift accounts to fibre Telkom's sales representative pointed out that it is not possible to have a Telkom ISP account on Octotel's fibre.

For full transparency the reason why the sudden shift is needed to fibre is because according to technicians that were on site the post where Telkom's copper equipment is hosted is damaged and they mentioned that Telkom will not attempt to fix old outdated equipment when Fibre is present. For specifics he mentioned that the krone block was entirely corroded and there wasn't any covering over the equipment subjecting it to harsh weather.

The symptoms of this defect is that the internet connection is intermittent where at times when tested the line seems to be operating at 100% capacity and according to Telkom's representatives is functioning perfectly. However upon further analysis I found that packets were being dropped and random ping spikes were becoming more consistent to the point where every night the latency to local servers enter the 3000ms+ area and sometimes flatout drops the internet connection. The only consistent dysfunction is that the line speed doesn't go over 700KBps (Kilobytes Per Second) when initially it went to 1.2MBps (Megabytes Per Second). Aside from the direct impact of a significant speed decrease websites will occassionally be dropped and even when operating in a state where it works the pages load for an eternity.

I've tested for these symptoms with my Afrihost account as well and it seems to be present in equal measure.

I'd like to know if it will ever be possible to have a Telkom fibre data account on Octotel's fibre lines?

(These screenshots were taken in the middle of the day when the line is at its best)

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

(These screenshots were taken in the night time)

11.jpg22.jpg33.jpg

All pinged servers are local and should be getting between 20-40ms latency in between.

Valued Contributor

Re: Copper ADSL no longer viable can't switch to Fibre

Hi @a_diedericks

Sorry to hear your plight - must be very frustrating being stuck in fibre ‘no mans land’ .  

We’re customers in the forum , unfortunately Telkom won’t see your post here . Hopefully another forum member may join in with some useful ideas, otherwise PM your post & attachments to a Telkom media team ( below) with cc on email to support@telkom.co.za to see what Telkom options might be made available to you in such difficult circumstances.

Facebook: TelkomZA

Twitter:   @telkomza

Can’t read your attachments but it does sound like you’re paying for a Telkom service which is no longer fit for purpose.  If acceptable operating capacity can’t be restored and no alternative option is offered, it should be possible to arrange early cancellation of your current Telkom adsl contract to opt for Octotel fibre with another ISP package.

Good luck, please do keep us posted re what happens.  

Established Member

[ Edited ]

@Kathy1

Thank you, I appreciate your input. Will be forwarding this information to Telkom's support however I will leave the forum thread open in case someone has a solution to this issue.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@a_diedericks

You're very welcome -just include your SNR & attentuation router figs to Telkom if not already in your forum attachments. 

( seems this forum often doesn't like attachment formats but might be me -  can you see your posted attachments or yellow triangles? )

Established Member

@Kathy1

Both variables show perfect stats on both the router and Telkom end making it hard to escalate the issue further. Even the intermittent nature of the symptoms are present irregularly. The technicians on site mentioned that when running line tests they'd get a failed feedback status followed by a pass feedback status so they aren't certain whether their "fixes" actually corrected the issue.

The attachments seem to work on both my phone and desktop PC but I've uploaded them to an off-site image hoster.

https://imgur.com/a/E00SLh2

Valued Contributor

@a_diedericks

Thanks , can see your ping results via the link. The drops could be caused at any number of networking levels from your local Internet connection, your router, or any of the routers your packet goes through to end up at the destination server , but typically most ADSL services would not exceed a 50ms ping to destinations inside the country unless line conditions are sub-standard.

Try running a trace route to see the ping times of every router your connection hops through on its way to the server. That might give you more ammunition to escalate to Telkom.

“Problems at the second hop would indicate exchange congestion – it should always be sub 20ms for it not to be service-affecting.”

more here :  https://mybroadband.co.za/news/adsl/82251-how-to-test-for-adsl-exchange-congestion.html

Probably stating the obvious here,  but just a couple of thoughts as your latency is more prevalent at night; 

Switching between wifi channels 1, 6, and 11 might help if your neighbours are using the same wifi channel.  

Peak usage time neighbourhood streaming jamming up local network traffic, interference from other frequencies at home, i.e. electrical appliances, wiring  etc., or using multiple household internet devices at once can degrade performance & even cause intermittent sync. problems.

Hope there’s something useful in that lot.  Seeing what you’re contending with makes me monumentally grateful that our fibre was finally installed last year !    😀

Established Member

@Kathy1

I'm certain the issue is not home equipment side. It was already isolated to Telkom's equipment (specifically the corroded krone block). The latency I usually got to the two DNS servers were sub 30ms with 0 packet drops prior to the symptoms appearing. Also to verify, the pings were done with only 1 host machine with monitored network activity connected to the net, all other devices were removed. The peculiar results are actually very similar to the results I've been collecting over the last 2 weeks across both my Telkom and Afrihost ISP data accounts further suggesting a line related malfunction.

As for the trace route stats, I will most certainly provide them later tonight since that is the only time the intermittent nature of the symptoms is dropped and thereafter become greatly accentuated.

Where Wi-Fi is concerned the router is already configured to broadcast on a non-overlapping channel specifcally channel 11 but that isn't a factor in this case since the host machine where the tests are done is connected physically via a Cat5e ethernet cable.

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

2018-09-04_2203.png

Yes it doesn't look like Telkom is in bed with Octotel. 
Therefore you need to cancel Telkom and jump ship to a fibre ISP.

If you're in a 24 month contract with Telkom then you may have to bite the bullet if they won't let you out of the contract because the service is working in their eyes.

Try this tool over a 24 hour period and start gathering ammunition that you can take to the ombudsman
https://testmy.net/auto

Established Member

@Kathy1

As promised, the trace route results:

https://imgur.com/a/97xbBaY

Valued Contributor

Hi @a_diedericks

Be great to hear if you came right .. did Telkom send you a positive response  ?

About This Post
  • 11 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 3 Contributors