Important! Community will be closing.

Please go to gethelp.telkom.co.za
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted

DNS issue: Telkom ADSL clients

Kindly assist, the internet constantly goes down and reflects a dns server error, and comes again after 10mins. It does that up and down constantly. We are connected to 15 computers. The network has been check and its accurate.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: DNS issue: Telkom ADSL clients

I noted some issues this morning myself.  And i am not on Telkom as ISP, might be a wider DNS issue at the moment 

Found the answer to your question? Don't forget to Accept the Solution! 

Did you like someone's contribution? Give Kudos where Kudos are due!

Just because something doesn’t do what you planned it to do doesn’t mean it’s useless. – Thomas Edison (Inventor)
Highlighted

Its been a year since this is happening, we running computers classes. So its a huge bearer, i guees one has to change ISP.....

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Not sure i follow you @lusandatwetwa.  You are able to change your DNS provider without changing ISP.  Google DNS provider and you will find many posts about the alternatives.  In your router config you are able to specify a primary and secondary DNS server, and this is exactly for this purpose of redundancy - if one doesn't work it will try another.  I like using the DNS suggested by my ISP as primary and something else such as Google for secondary ...

Tell us more about the computer classes:  are you attending or offering the classes?  What type of classes?

Just because something doesn’t do what you planned it to do doesn’t mean it’s useless. – Thomas Edison (Inventor)
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

@lusandatwetwa sometimes your browser might give a DNS error as it is unable to resolve the address you are trying to browse to. This does not necessarily mean that the ISP's DNS is problematic. Most times you might actually be disconnected at that precise time. Cehc if there is an internet light on your router or if your DSL light is flashing, indiation that your DSL line is syncing or not and if there is an IP connection.

If it drops all the time, check and replace your POTS filters, make sure each phone is on a POTS filter and check other cabling is secure.

If all else fails, report the fault to Telkom or your ISP.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Or there could actually be a DNS issue.  They don't go down often but you might have the wrong or old DNS configured ...  try the steps from @thesuspect first though

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

@lusandatwetwa @j0766 leaving your device to pick up DNS servers automatically is sometimes the best idea. The addresses that SAIX push have redundancy, so if one goes down, they will automatically assign another.

In another post here, we also gave the advise of using 1 SAIX DNS as primary and 1 Google DNS as secondary, also for redundancy

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

I agree with leaving to automatic.  I am however all for proper redundancy and not leaving my eggs in one basket ...  this is the third time this year that we had DNS related issues - just read on MyBB that Axxess and Afrihost have problems and although they say these are in KZN and Cape, I saw some DNS type errors this morning ... 

Even google does go down some time ...

About This Post
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 Contributors