Telkom Community

Get involved. Problem solved.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Accepted Solution

DSL sync speed and ping timeout

Hi,

hope somebody can tell me if this is normal. I have a 4Mbps adsl line subscription. My router is currently syncing at Downstream Line Rate (Kbps): 5115

My pings are timing out at the 2nd hop

racing route to www.telkom.co.za [165.143.158.60]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.1.1
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 22 ms 20 ms 27 ms ipc-1-up.south.dsl.telkomsa.net [105.226.0.6]
4 19 ms 35 ms 24 ms ipc-aggr-1.south.dsl.telkomsa.net [105.226.0.13]
5 18 ms 21 ms 34 ms wblv-ip-hsll-1-wan.telkom-ipnet.co.za [196.25.39.45]
6 42 ms 49 ms 43 ms 196.43.51.74

internet speed is slow and international ping is 400ms+

any ideas?

Thank you.

Highlighted

Re: DSL sync speed and ping timeout

Hi champ, 

There are so many things that can go wrong and cause delays/slow downloads etc. 

My troubleshoot process:

1. Reset the router - Switch it off for 30mins, this will also reset your port to the internet. This solves 95% of most issues. 

2. Sign in with a guest account from any ISP - This will rule out if it is your data package or actually your line. If the speeds improve, it is safe to assume that is is the data package is your problem. If not, there is an issue with your line. 

3. At this stage, you have done what you as the user can do to troubleshoot your internet connection so you would need to contact your ISP. 

Hope this helps! 

Regular Contributor

@champ like @Quint77 said, there are a lot of variables. In this case the 2nd hop is not timeing out. It is usually the exchange and has ICMP (ping) traffic disabled, so it does not answer but still routes the packet.

Your tracert times attached were within spec. International hops will increase to about 300-400ms.

Also always do a speed test at www.speedtest.net

Variables could also be

• exchange congestion (test with a different ISP account to rule out ISP. If it persists, log a fault on your line)
  • ISP problem, possibly congested IPC link (again test with a different ISP, if it persists, report to your ISP)
  • ISP account speed not matching line speed (eg. 4mb Uncapped on a 10Mbps line)
  • multiple devices connected to your router sharing bandwidth
  • high upload effectively saturates your uplink so web requests take long to leave your PC giving the impression of slow speed

Thanks. This explains why my 2nd hop is timing out. Must be something that changed recently.

About This Post
  • 3 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 Contributors