Welcome to the
Telkom Community

Get involved. Problem solved.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Accepted Solution

Disturbances on the landline after DSL activation

Hi! Can anybody explain to me why, since connecting a router and activating my DSL, there is a recurring and extremely annoying static disturbance on the line when used for calls?
Regular Contributor

Re: Disturbances on the landline after DSL activation

@Dr-I-Tufvesson my guess is you havent plugged your phone into a POTS filter supplied with the router. This splits the ADSL and voice frequencies so they dont interfer with each other.

I have though. There was already a Telkom splitter there.

"Finding the way forward is most often found through acknowledging and transforming the point of disruption way back there" - Nonjongo I. Sent from my iPhone
Frequent Contributor

Can you check that it is ACTUALLY a POTS filter?  Many lines will have a Telkom splitter for two phone lines, you need one that says ADSL and PHONE on it for the two points on the splitter.

Found the answer to your question? Don't forget to Accept the Solution! 

Did you like someone's contribution? Give Kudos where Kudos are due!

Just because something doesn’t do what you planned it to do doesn’t mean it’s useless. – Thomas Edison (Inventor)
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

@Dr-I-Tufvesson agreed with @j0766. Make sure you are not talking about the wall jack that has 2 RJ11 telephone jacks on it. A POTS filter comes with your ADSL router. A small beige box with a short length of telephone wire and a plug. On it there is 2 plugs, one for ADSL and 1 for Telephone.

This device filters out the voice frequency from the ADSL so they do not interfer with each other

I have the same problem and have a POTS filter (bought a second one in case the first one was faulty, but noise still on line).  Telkom has been to my place about 5 times and every time it improves for a couple of weeks and then the noise comes back again.  Given up now.  Can't wait for fibre!

About This Post
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 Contributors