Welcome to the
Telkom Community

Get involved. Problem solved.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted

Drastically reduced DSL sync speed, and constant line drops for almost 2 months

For almost two months now I have been struggling with Telkom to resolve a fault on my line. A little under two months ago my line suddenly began dropping connection almost every hour. When it came back up it would always sync at a different speed, and never at my original speed of around 8mb to 10mb. I've seen the line sync anywhere between 64kbps to 6mbps, but never for more than a couple hours, before it drops and the whole process starts again.

I've had three technicians come by over the course of the past month or so, and none of them have been able to fix the fault. Every time they've told me that they cannot hear any noise on the line, and that the DSL tests they run all pass, but that doesn't do me any good what-so-ever, because I'm still sitting with this issue.

I've read the forums, both here, and on MyBroadband, and many have mentioned similar issues and suggested it may be due to their new Assia system and my line being on interleaved instead of fastpath? Could this be the cause?

I have tested with two different routers, to ensure it's not an issue with my hardware.

This line has been stable and running perfectly find at 8mb - 10mb speeads for over three years now, for it to suddenly start acting up this way tells me that there HAS to be an issue somewhere, whether or not their tests pass, or a technician hears noise on the line is besides the point. And them telling me to contact them when it happens again is moot, because by the time they get here the line appears "fine" to them again.

Has anyone had any similar issues, and if so, how did you go about getting it fixed?

Highlighted
Contributor

Re: Drastically reduced DSL sync speed, and constant line drops for almost 2 months

@chillievodka. Log onto your modem and copy the stats of the modem. It's the page that shows sync speeds,crc errors;hec errors,FEC errors then post a screenshot of it. Let's see from there what's the next step
Highlighted

Re: Drastically reduced DSL sync speed, and constant line drops for almost 2 months

Not sure if I have all the stats you mentioned, the closest I have is this:

My reply is so late because...well you can see from the screenshot...

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

I think SNR is your problem.  Start by checking POTS filters, extensions connected and lastly a line check by Telkom

Found the answer to your question? Don't forget to Accept the Solution! 

Did you like someone's contribution? Give Kudos where Kudos are due!

Just because something doesn’t do what you planned it to do doesn’t mean it’s useless. – Thomas Edison (Inventor)
About This Post
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 Contributors