Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Established Member
Accepted Solution

Fiber available , just not my house !

Hi there,

I have a strange situation. Fiber is available in my area, but on the coverage maps it is literally covered right around the complex that I live in since last year October. Because the rest of the area is covered it tells me that the ISP's just need permission from the complex possibly? The "buddy box" has been installed right against my house already as well (last year) but still every ISP just keeps telling me it is not available.

My complex is extremely small, with only 9 units. Who can I speak with to get the required permissions and / or whatever is still required? The ADSL here is driving me crazy I cannot wait any longer for the fiber.

Regards,

Leunis

Valued Contributor

Re: Fiber available , just not my house !

Hi @Leunis

Telkom approached our complex for permission to rollout fibre but think that was after enough residents registered interest in signups made it worth the infrastructure cost. 

After requisite body corporate & municipality permissions were given we still waited another year for FTTH. ( was worth the wait)

You could register interest on Openserve site  http://www.openserve.co.za/open/fibre/  and try to get your neighbours to do the same . With a bit of luck you might even find their coverage map says future fibre planned at your address .

While you wait , might be worth checking if LTE is an option as adsl driving you crazy !

Hope this helps, good luck.

Valued Contributor

PS  @Leunis  The purple cloud on coverage map was only updated a while after our fibre was up and running . 

Established Member

That is honestly ridiculous... The fiber is against my house, trenching done, everything done, just needs to go from the buddy box inside my yard and next to my back door, in the house to the router / modem...

Valued Contributor

Hi @Leunis

Yep,  fibre cable was in our box on the house for 3 months,  really frustrating but I gather our delay was unusual.  The subcontractors  had left before the infrastructure was finished in our section ( 3 units of 40 ) - other residents fibre was  already hooked up and running .

Might speed things up if you post your adsl details & fibre order ref on one of Telkom social media channels, they respond well and can usually escalate :

Facebook: TelkomZA
Twitter:   @telkomza

Established Member

Thanks for that. I will try that

Valued Contributor

Hi @Leunis,

Seems the logistics make it nigh on impossible for an accurate FTTH timelime, but your infrastructure's ready so likely you won't wait much longer.

Good luck , be great to hear when it happens .

Frequent Contributor

I think the problem is that you are in a complex. They can't simply run a fibre to your home from the street. Basically the infrastructure has to be built in your complex to serve each home.

Maybe contact the Trustees to see if they have been approached by an ISP to install fibre in the complex

Frequent Contributor

This tends to happen if the fibre build is running late. Common reasons are the pipes that are used to run the fibres in are blocked or correct permissions have not been obtained.

Then what happens is the crews are pulled off the job because they have to go to another job and don't want to start late. 

About This Post
  • 8 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 Contributors