Telkom Community

Get involved. Problem solved.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Established Member

Fibre speed upgrade

I upgraded my 20mb fibre line to a 40mb. My profile / account is on 40mb according to Telkom. When i do a speedtest, my upload speed is right, but my download speed is stil on 20mb. The download speed begins in the high 30's mb, its only for a split second. Then it drops to 20mb for the majority of the test till it finishes.
It does this through a wired connection and wifi connection.
Line speed upgrade was done a week ago.
Ive reset the router / username & password.
Is it a hardware issue or a Telkom issue?

Thanx
Frequent Contributor

Re: Fibre speed upgrade

What equipment does Telkom use to give you your fibre?

ie is it fibre into your home to a white box not plugged into the power and then a short fibre cable to a Wifi box that is plugged into the power?

Or fibre into  your home into a box that is plugged into the power and then a normal computer cable from here to an old Wifi router?

Established Member

2nd option

From a small wall socket, the a yellow cable with a green plastic socket plug's into a white "router" and then from there a network cable into a normal vdsl router.

Frequent Contributor

If there is a cable running from the LAN 1 port of the white router to your VDSL router can you unplug it from the VDSL router and plug that directly into your computer to check the Internet?

This way you're taking the VDSL box out of picture. The VDSL box is just being used as a WAN router I believe

Established Member

I might have found the problem.
There are 2 x "TIN" numbers on my profile and they upgraded the wrong one.
Dont know how this happened as i only have 1 x account at Telkom.

Will keep you posted...
Valued Contributor

Hi @Matthysvdw

I had similar TIN issues with speed upgrade after Telkom fibre installation . Seems to take a while for their various service departments to update / interface with one another.

When they confirm the TIN is correctly updated on the correct speed you may find that your username and/or password was also changed in the process. 

Established Member

Thanx @Kathy1

I went between Sales and Technical 8 times this morning in the space of 3 hours...

I made it Technical Supervisor's problem.

Sales was telling me that my profile / account is on 40mb and that Technical needs to make sure the line is running at that speed.

Technical says that my line is still on a 20mb profile.

The supervisor contacted Sales, and established that my account is still being charged to a 20mb line. Hence my speed upgrade hasnt gone through yet.

They have now logged a Incident with their own IT to solve the problem as to why their 2 systems are showing 2 different account details.

Hopefully i will get my 40mb before the end of 2018... or at least before S8 of Game of Thrones starts... Lol

Valued Contributor

Yep, hope they sort it quickly for you - otherwise chances excellent before S8 GOT -  May 2019 !😀

Meanwhile just keep a close follow up re your TIN passwords etc . Our connection was cut off completely during speed upgrade process last year -  I suspect issues similar to yours,  but we had migrated from ADSL to  fibre installation then upgraded the fibre speed in the same month so hopefully the IT team will fix your problem quickly. 

Frequent Contributor

Looks like your upgrade is caught in no-mans land between the two disparate Telkom systems.

Hopefully the upgrade will show after 24 ours + VAT :-)

Established Member

yeah, i hope so too, but i wont hold my breath...

About This Post
  • 30 replies
  • 11 kudos
  • 14 Contributors