Welcome to the
Telkom Community

Get involved. Problem solved.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted

Frustration with Fiber!

I thought I was one of the lucky ones when Telkom announced they are rolling out fiber in my area... but have never been so frustrated in my life.

Fiber is now active in my area... my neighbours across the street have it, in fact most of my neighbourhood has it but for some unknown reason my side of the street still shows "planned"

In december (i.e. two and a bit months ago) the telkom technicians requested access to my yard and put fibre across the telephone poles. They installed a new fibre switch at the box and everything but because the "coverage map" shows my side of the street is not active no one wants to help!

Please please please just let me know what is going on? Anyone else run into this?!?

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: Frustration with Fiber!

Sounds very frustrating.  The only positive comment I have for you is to say you are not alone - a few weeks ago I saw a similar post from @bear911 but I just checked and see that no-one has responded on that yet.

There have been some comments on the fact that the coverage map doesn't get updated frequently enough, but I think it would be fair to say that despite the big push on getting fibre rolled out, the systems are not yet where they should be.  As it is they only have a few thousand households rolled out on Fibre and I think many of these are part of fibrehoods where the people in the neighbourhood are managing this together ... might be wrong, but this part of their service still seems very immature, and without too much clarity.

While you struggle through it remember those of us, who are not EVEN on any plans for fibre yet, no idea - i don't even know the decade or century when I am likely to get it in my neighbourhood...

Found the answer to your question? Don't forget to Accept the Solution! 

Did you like someone's contribution? Give Kudos where Kudos are due!

Just because something doesn’t do what you planned it to do doesn’t mean it’s useless. – Thomas Edison (Inventor)
Highlighted
Moderator Moderator

just an FYI. The coverage map is updated weekly.

At times it might seem confusing that fibre is across the street but you can't get. It depends on the way the network is deployed and might not be physically possible yet depending on how cabling is run to street cabinets (SDC) or Distribution Points (DP).

We are busy with a massive drive to roll out fibre, so it is just a matter of time Smiley Happy

Highlighted

That is exactly the issue... it truly feels as if they have now finished
with this neighborhood and moved on without finishing the job.

Not only do the neighbors across the street have it (which is
understandable if we were on a different exchange) but almost the whole
neighborhood has it - just not my side of one street). What makes it more
frustrating is that they rolled out in December (which reinforces my idea
that they have now finished with the area and moved off without completing
things) and they had access to my property several times during which they
installed the new fiber switch on the pole that feeds ADSL to my property
(and mockingly stares at me all day as I sit at my home office and work - I
can actually see the switch less than 5m away!!!)

See image attached

[image: 0.jpg]

To make matters worse I have called Telkom and spoken to several different
people without being any closer to an answer... everybody just refers me to
the coverage map and says "it is planned for your address not but not
activated yet"... what I actually want is for someone to tell me why the
whole neighborhood (including my property) was connected up in December but
my address is not available?!

Holding thumbs!
Edgar
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@NC - something doesn't sound right here.  Didn't see the picture from Edgar but he can't be that close to the box, where they actually gained access to his property to implement for others but he is not included?  Surely there should be info at your disposal that can pinpoint what the actual progress is in his area?  

Just because something doesn’t do what you planned it to do doesn’t mean it’s useless. – Thomas Edison (Inventor)
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Also - if the map is updated weekly why is there no indication as to what has changed?  I think it is disingenious to update a map such as this without versioning or a slightly longer term view?  I have asked before - why can we not see a map that says this is planned for 2016, this is planned for 2017 and this is where we plan to be in 2020 ...  it is just a plan and we know it will change but NOTHING is shared to help people know where they will end up ...  

Highlighted
Moderator Moderator

@j0766 @eck I have forwarded this case to be checked out. Feedback to follow

Highlighted

@eck Haha yes a I have a box mocking me in my yard too! I'm in Sterrewag, Pretoria. It's been there for ages now. Spoke to all and sundry. No joy on my side. Quite tempted to start using it for target practice. Gave up and requested VDSL, which is also available at the exchange. Confirmed order and put cancellation in for old uncapped bundle. Bought Zyxel VDSL router. Telkom then phoned to say, sorry 'no ports available.'

Good luck to them if they think they'll get access to my premises again.
Highlighted

It's slowly driving me bonkers... the rest of the neighbourhood is flying (fiber) and i am stuck on ADSL which is super slow becuase I am on a terrible exchange (can't even get 2.5 mbps even though i am paying for 4 lol).

See images here:

This is the box in my yard:

0.jpg

Actually i have two boxes in my yard

This is were they are positioned at the back of my house (x marks the spots):

1.png

This is the current coverage ma

Highlighted

@bear911 would be even beter if i didn't have the cable and switch - at least then i could understand why I have no connection. Almost want to climb the pole myself and see what is going on there - hehe

About This Post
  • 23 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 Contributors