Welcome to the
Telkom Community

Get involved. Problem solved.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted

Re: Frustration with Fiber!

Ok so an update on my continuing frustruation with Fiber (or to be more correct my frustruation with the LACK of fiber)... while cycling on the weekend I found some contractors splicing fiber just outside my neighbourhood. I had a chat with them and they new there had been an issue with one of the boxes at 9 Virgo (i.e. my neighbours place).

The guy was very friendly and called up one of his friends (the guy responsible for the boxes) and he said as far as he was aware it had been fixed... which begs the question is the coverage map that everyone is refferring to our of date?!? When does this get updated?

He also gave me the phone number of the project manager for the area so I will be giving him a call today and see if perhaps he know what is up.

Oh and just to add to my frustration the guy splicing the fibre said there are already a number of people in my neighbourhood connected to fibre... just not me ;(

Here is the current coverage map with me in a horrible pink (i.e. plannned not installed)

2.png

Highlighted

Day 6 - still no answer to my questions about fibre.

Here are the pole numbers with the switch boxes in my yard:

AL09Q and AL09R - both have switches installed but the coverage map shows them as only planned and not active so Telkom won't let me order fibre.

@NC Have you been able to find out anything?

Highlighted
Moderator Moderator

@eck not as yet Smiley Frustrated but still busy looking into it.

Highlighted

Day 11 - still no reply

More and more frustrated with each passing day. No way to find out what is happening. I have switches on two poles on my property... AL09Q and AL09R but this line does not seem to be active (according to the fibre coverage). Is there any plan to activate these? Why put the switches in if you are not going to activate it?

Highlighted

Four weeks (FOUR WEEKS!!!!) ago you posted that you were looking into it... is this typical of Telkom, a world class communication company that they can't get back to a customer in over FOUR WEEKS!

Poor show!

Highlighted

Still no reply other than the standard "the coverage map shows that it is not yet avaiable in your street and there is no ETA on when this will be available."

It's almost as if they don't want me a fibre customer... poor show Telkom!

Highlighted

an update for anyone following

Today as I drove out my driveway i saw two telkom cars... i though my prayers had been answered but alas they were there to put in fibre at one fo the people across from me (would you believe that in my street one side can have fibre installed as it shows as avialable while on my side of the street, which has fibre physcially installed and a slim box fibre switch on the pole (AC09Q) shows as planned so is impossible to get the applicaiton accpeted.

I went out and dragged the technicians across to my property... they came and looked at the fibre switch and confirmed that it is available but that i need to put in an application (pulling out my hair at this point as I have already applied more than 5 times!!!!!!)

PLEASE TELKOM - UP YOUR GAME

PS. @NC - NC you promissed to look this up... it is now several weeks later and still nothing from you... what gives?!?

Highlighted
Moderator Moderator

@eck We are still dealing with your case and have it in hand. 

Highlighted

@NC Please note my first post about this (at the point when I was first feeling frustrated which was after several weeks of trying to get an answer from Telkom) was on 07-03-2016....  it is now TWO months later... do you think that is an adequate response time frame? I certainly don't.

Highlighted

...the saga continues (at this rate I will soon be able to write a book!)

I ran into one of the Telkom field techinicians that was installing fibre at a property two streets from my house. The technician was very friendly (kudos here). He gave me his number and asked my address... the next day he was at my door to come and have a look (excellent service!)... he confimed that there was a fibre line and box in my yard. As it was raining he came back the following day and installed the fibre from the pole to where my computer is located, did the fibre splicing etc. 

At this point I was getting very excited... imminenet fibre! Alas... only to discover that the reason that my street shows only as planned is that no one bothered to connect the main fibre cable to the network. This is EXACTLY what I was afraid of! The telkom guys rolling out fibre in Sundowner didn't finish all the streets but have now moved onto another neighbourhood ... that is despite laying the fibre cable and putting up fibre boxes on the poles.

No wonder Telkom is slowly loosing ground... how can you make the investment in laying the fibre and the boxes, pretty much everything (at great expense i have no doubt) and then simply not finishing the last bit and stranding potential customers (since no other firbe provider will now come into the neighbourhood)

Perhaps this is the plan all along... an old fashioned territory grab moving from area to area as fast as possible to block the competition but not actually finishing...??? Telkom???

So currently i have a fibre modem connected to the fibre box outside, connected to the fibre cable that goes past my property that ISNT connected to the fibre network so STILL NO FIBRE - oi!

About This Post
  • 23 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 Contributors