Welcome to the
Telkom Community

Get involved. Problem solved.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted

Hacking Problem

Hi. I have reason to believe hackers have been intercepting data sent over my internet line which is with Telkom.

My ISP is Afrihost. The hackers in question have been "sniffing" my search history and cookies and using it for nefarious means. This has been going on since 2015. Last year I had my credit card details replicated. Whenever I register on a new forum they create fake profiles specifically to harrass me. The harrassment mostly involves posting or mentioning whatever I have just searched recently.

I have already changed my modem settings (did a hard reset, changed the SSID, network security key, etc), registered for new connectivity packages with Afrihost (set the passwords as long as the password range allowed) and scanned for malware on my laptops, but the problem persists.

Could anyone please provide any recommendations as to what steps I can take? How do I check if my line has been intercepted?

Highlighted
Established Member

Re: Hacking Problem

It might be your PC / Laptop which is infected with spyware/trojan.  Or even worse a PC/Tablet/Laptop that were stolen/sold.  If not properly blanked/formatted information can be recovered to commit fraud/crime/harrasment with.

1) Get some really good anti-virus

2) Consider wiping your current Android/PC e.g. Factory reset

3) Reset your password, e-mail aka gmail

Unfortunately it can take a bit of effort to get to the root cause of the problem, your description is very high level and "sniffing" is less likely than a Virus/Spyware/Trojan.

Highlighted
Established Member

If they are still persisting to access your profile after chnaging the passwords etc, it means they are most likely have access to your computer. They have probably nstalled some software which somewhat allows them access. backup your pc data, only the required files. Store them on an external HDD. Have the HDD scanned throughly with a very good antivirus that is up-to-date. Format your pc and re-install application from scratch. Only install software from a trusted source. configure your laptop with staic IP, better yet on your router grant your PC internet access based on your MAC Address. MAC address is s unique ID from the factory to identify the device. each device has a unique MAC Address, so only a laptop that matched your MAC address can have access.  Use Dual facgtor authentication on your Gmail account. (Dual factor will require you to input your password, then send a one-time pin to your phone). ensur ethat you atleast configure your router with WPA2 security.  

A re-install in this case is essential. Free advise, create a virtual Cr Card for all your online purchases. You can use www.Neteller.com sounds paranoid but you will never have to worry about losing money. 

Highlighted

Highlighted

Yes it's bad very bad people!

Highlighted

i had the same problem
Highlighted

About This Post
  • 6 replies