Welcome to the
Telkom Community

Get involved. Problem solved.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

How Many Fault Reports does it take to resolve a problem???

From mid-December 2017 until today I have had serious problems with my Adsl line- slow connectivity - 0.12 mbps download speed on a 2mb line. My ISP has logged seperate faults and I have logged  at least 4 reports. 

The only response from Telkom is an sms to say that the fault has been resolved . I reply "NO" to the the sms, wait and when I phone 10210, another fault report is logged and "escalated" 

Last week a technician arrived and worked on the outside line. I had reasonable connectivity.

Yesterday suddenly I had no connectivity and the voice line was scratchy  . At 11h00 hours I experienced a total loss of connectivity. I contacted Telkom and another  Fault report was opened -  723CRK230118 -  At 18h00 I received connectivity to the Internet - still no voice calls !

This problem remains unresolved and it seems that Telkom just does not take it seriously.  I have a list of unresolved Fault Reports for the same issue ! And I am being billed for a service that it is non-existent. 

This post is my last desperate attempt to get someone at Telkom to take up my cause and see it through to a successful resolution. 

Am I expecting too much?????

Re: How Many Fault Reports does it take to resolve a problem???

I have the same problem, my line has been dead since 18/12/17 when openserve came to work on another line in our building since then my line been dead.

My ISP has reported the fault to them numerous times i have tried calling numerous times only to be told that they will escalate the fault.

Now when I call again nothing has been done about it, Call Center Agents refuse to put you through to higher management when you repeatedly tell them over and over that this has been going on for 5 weeks now - "I do apologize for your inconvenience" are the most hated words they can say coz what follows is "I`m making a note and escalating the fault for you".

It`s absolutely madness the poor service being delivered by Telkom.

We are experiencing the same problem. We are experiencing bad internet speeds for the past 3 months our landline has been down for the past 3 months as well. We are continuously making calls to telkom from our own personal phones which is using up our airtime sometimes spending 45 minutes on the phone with telkom. Our issues have still not been resolved and we have received very poor feedback and terrible service from telkom. We can't even use the internet due to the terrible speeds we are receiving. The only thing we hear from your support is we are escalating this issue. This has been the case every time we spoke to support. I have sent numerous e-mails and still no feedback. Poor service from telkom, still waiting for feedback when internet will be back up?????

Valued Contributor

Hello @Ianza@Miguel08@TaintedSoul1982

Sorry to hear the awful frustration you’re experiencing - unfortunately the community can’t resolve service issues ( we’re Telkom customers like you ) - but it might help to post the fault refs & details on one of Telkom social media channels - their support teams can usually help speed things up :

* Facebook: TelkomZA
* Twitter:   @telkomza

Meanwhile here’s a few things you could try if you haven’t already done so :
Connectivity problems on ADSL services can be caused by many different factors, often making it difficult to pinpoint where the fault lies.

When your line is synchronising at lower speeds than it should, or if you’re experiencing intermittent drops in connectivity, one place to start is your DSL connection statistics - you can find them by logging into your ADSL router (look for wording such as signal-to-noise ratio (SNR), and line attenuation - sometimes referred to as resistance).

The higher the SNR the better, and the lower the attenuation the better.

• SNR should be at least 6dB, but preferably higher than 9 or 10dB.
• Attenuation/resistance should be below 55dB, but preferably lower than 45dB

While little can be done if your line attenuation is too high due to distance from the exchange or old copper line quality, there are a few things you can try to improve your SNR.

The first step is to eliminate any potentially faulty equipment between your ADSL router or modem and the telephone jack.
This includes POTS filters (often the cause of issues with DSL connections) and telephone line extensions. Such equipment is often first to get damaged when lightning hits your phone line, and to ensure they are not causing noise on your line they should be disconnected temporarily.

Other equipment connected to the same jack as your ADSL router or modem, such as telephones, should also be removed while testing.

If the source of noise on your line still not found : -

is your router or modem faulty? Try connecting another modem to see if you get similar SNR readings from it.

Electric fences. A faulty security fence can cause impulse noise on an ADSL link. This will cause the line to run errors and drop intermittently. In severe cases the ASDL line will not sync at all. Check for any arcing from the fence due to cracked or faulty isolators, as well as for plants or any foreign objects touching the fence.

Hope there’s something useful here , good luck - hope you're reconnected soon.

Thanks Kathy !

I am happy to report that Telkom contacted me and told me that they had been working on the exchange and the line had been restored !

We also have the same problem our Line is off from the 4th January and we also have phoned numerous time with no luck so far Telkom is really one of the worst service provider ever.   The problem was escalated but they don't even bother to phone us. My husband is a one man business and needs the ADSL line for his business to do quote. We have incurred additional cost for data of R 2000.00. I phone everyday from the 4 January 2018 , the escalated number is 1055385 to date nothing has been done and they can't phone you back or put you through to a manager.  The problem with Telkom in south Africa is they don't have any competition  therefore you must settling for the bad service.

We also have the same problem our Line is off from the 4th January and we also have phoned numerous time with no luck so far Telkom is really one of the worst service provider ever.   The problem was escalated but they don't even bother to phone us. My husband is a one man business and needs the ADSL line for his business to do quote. We have incurred additional cost for data of R 2000.00. I phone everyday from the 4 January 2018 , the escalated number is 1055385 to date nothing has been done and they can't phone you back or put you through to a manager.  The problem with Telkom in south Africa is they don't have any competition  therefore you must settling for the bad service.

Same issue of no response by Telkom to fault first reported in November - then in December - then escalated in January - still no technician. Now line has gone from so noisy it can not be used, to I can not answer or make calls.

Fault Dec 11th: 22047611 - still showing as unresolved! Latest Fault no: 22348728, Telkom closed office in eMalahleni down so have to drive to Middelburg or Pretoria to report in person.

By the way all Instruments checked. Modem etc.checked. Only left with very slow ADSL to report problem. 

Has Telkom's ability to deal with Technical faults totally collapsed?

To add to insult Telkom ask one to evaluate their service...

Established Member

I am fed up

I have logged a fault since 2 January 2018 and we keep getting references and messages saying the matter has been escalated. i even get dates by when the problem will be resolved. the last was two days ago when i was promised a time 14:43 by which my line will be restored.

but sadly the service is disgusting

nothing has been done

Tel no: 0126568463

Ref: 475CTZ020118

Established Member

Disgusting service from Telkom

I logged in a fault on 2 January 2018

We have logged it again many times/

all we get is messages with refernces and messages saying that the matter has been escalated.

Even worse is when the call centre even gives dates and times by when the fault will be repaired. the last was a few days ago when they said by Monday, 14:43 the problem will be rectified.

Tel no: 0126568463

Ref: 475CTZ020118

About This Post
  • 21 replies
  • 15 kudos
  • 11 Contributors