Telkom Community

Get involved. Problem solved.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
AB1

How do I get Telkom to fix my line

I am having a problem with my telephone/ADSL line with the following symptoms:

• The telephone line is at times so unclear and scratchy that the person who is calling have to call again.
  • Sometimes when you pick up the telephone when it rings, you can not hear ANYTHING.  The other person has to recall you.
  • The telephone line disconnects often.
  • We have a multitude of internet line-drops each day where the internet disconnects.  During November we had 58 lost carier errors in the ISP logs.
  • When the internet is connected, the up- and download speed is at a snailspace.

I have reported the line 3 to 4 times over the past two months.  The call just gets closed without anyone assisting us to fix the problem.  When we select "no", the problem is not fixed on the sms message, the call gets closed anyway.

We have called Telkom, explaining nicely what the problem is, escelated the problem, spoken to a so-called manager and even shouted and screamed at them over the phone, but the end result is always the same.  The call gets closed without any assistance.

We have noticed that the DB boxes outside is extremely worn and battered by the weather.  There are rust and burn marks on the items in the box.  The doors to the DB box were rusted through and hung open for several years.  It was temporarily fixed in place by ourselves to try to keep the rain out.  The connector blocks are damaged and corroded.  I believe a huge step towards getting our connection stable is rapairing and maintaining the DB box...get the infrastructure back in order.

WHAT DO I HAVE TO DO TO GET SOME ASSISTANCE??????????? 

We are seriously considering an alternative service provider.  As soon as we get access to vibre lines we will definitely investigat it, as we can not work with a SERVICE provide who is not giving us the SERVICE we are paying for.

Re: How do I get Telkom to fix my line

Sounds like you need an Openserve technician to visit your premises.

Try to escalate your problem on all relevant platforms (Store, 10210, Social Media...) quoting your Ref No as well.

Good Luck

AB1

Thank you for your advise.  Each time they close the call, I just open another.  So Thursday I have opened yet another call after they just closed the previous one.  We did post a complaint on hellopeter.com on 4 December, no replies yet.  But there are soooo many people complaining about Telkom on Hello Peter that it will probably get lost in the masses.  

Telkom have tried to contact us on Friday while we were out, hoping they will call again.  I do hope that they will tend to our problem soon.  Today the internet is so slow it took nearly 30 minutes just to open this simple webpage, nevermind trying to open Facebook or something essential.

Valued Contributor

Hi @AB1

Hope techs called back & sorted your connection. Awful frustration when faults are closed then zapped to the back of the queue every time you have to call again.

If you’re still battling, as @z4ck suggested - worth posting your latest fault ref & details to one of Telkom media channels . 

-  And email the same thing to support@telkom.co.za   (my issues were fixed after that)

Facebook: TelkomZA
Twitter:   @telkomza

Highlighted
AB1

Hi Kathy1

After starting this thread here and a very nasty post on HelloPeter, as well as phoning them again, we have been receiving some assistance with regards to our problem.  A technition visited our home.  He was certain that the issue was with one of our devices, but once he removed all of our devices from the system and replacing it with Telkom devices, he had to concede that it is not our devices causing the disconnections and noise on the line. 

The technition replaced the parts in the db and rewired it on the 14th of December, but there is still a mechanical noise on the line.  Our disconections have improved SLIGHTLY.  In total we have 61 disconnections (lost carrier errors) for December.  42 of these disconnections were in the first two weeks of December, and it is down to 19 disconnections in the last two weeks of December.

Seeing as it is Christmas and I realise that Telkom is propably running on sceleton staff, we will be hounding them again once the new year start.  I will definitively follow your advise from the 3rd of January 2018 onwards.

Valued Contributor

Hi @AB1

So glad you got some action - if nothing else it’s better knowing you’re at least off the starting block eliminating possible causes.

Sounds like ADSL cable to your exchange could be a factor ; apparently the longer the cable, the higher the attenuation. And this is one of the main things that determines the speed of your line as it’s determined by signal which is affected by external factors – ADSL speeds are determined by signal and interference. Copper lines are reliable but still subject to the laws of physics and electricity. In this case, the longer the copper, the slower the speed - and the older the copper, the less reliable the connections.

… an alternative ISP would probably need a reliable existing infrastructure, so yea - worth mustering even more monumental patience until you can find out more in 2018 - then move to fibre when you can.

Hope your next fault log finally gets it sorted for a happy 2018 !

Valued Contributor

Hi @AB1

Good to see you got action, albeit no solution as your connection still seems unfit for purpose .

A friend of mine had an unresolved ADSL underground cable problem for a while - old cables apparently cause the sort of problems you're having .  Telkom eventually migrated the connection to  fibre - it's  been perfect since. 

My old adsl line was very slow and also dropped connections but no problems since my fibre was installed and sorted 3 months ago . Perhaps moving to fibre would end your nightmare.  (if you do go that route just ensure you back up your Telkom email before any changes) 

Either way - hope all works out well in 2018 !

About This Post
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 Contributors