Get involved. Problem solved.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Internet Performance VERY erratic and sluggish

Hi

Since yesterday afternoon, Thursday 22 Feb 2018, my internet performance has been erratic and very sluggish. I have, rebooted my laptop, cleared browser caches, rebooted the router - same thing. One minute its fine, the next you just wait.

I'm trying to do online training but it's impossibe. And every time I call 10210 the line is busy.

Anyone else have issues? Any one found a way to do a port reset themselves? 

Maybe it's time to dump fibre, which I suspect is now completely over subscribed in my area, and revert to copper.

Thanks

Valued Contributor

Re: Internet Performance VERY erratic and sluggish

Hi @G_TKom,

I've seen reports of lightning damage to routers causing this sort of thing although they'll still work erratically. Perhaps try testing with another router /modem - if connectivity still bad on another device then you probably need a tech to check the line . You can log a fault online,  or by email to support@telkom.co.za ( include a couple of speed tests  with full details of the issue).

Apparently only Telkom tech dept. can do port resets, but if you have to do repeated resets I understand underlying issues may keep coming back.   (I found early a.m. best time to call 10210 ).

Hope this helps - good luck.

For info, the call centre agent I eventually got through to on Monday supplied an interesting snippet of information. 

According to the agent the following procedure will force a port reset. I cannot confim this one way or another:

* On the router, remove the cable that comes from the fibre modem

* Power off the router

* Wait a brief period, she said 5 seconds in the past I've been told 30 seconds

* Plug back in the cable from the fibre modem

* Power back on the router

My connection is running much better now, but I 'm not convinced this solved it. The symptom of some sites being find and others being slow doesn't fit

Hi Same problem! My internet works for 3 minutes and then shuts off for 3 minutes. Then it works for four minutes and shuts off. This has been going on for 1 month. Should I just cancel Fibre?

Hi -- I am having a similar problem. The internet comes on for 3 minutes and then it goes off for 3 minutes. Basically no way to get continued internet service. Its completely insane and driving me up the wall. How do I resolve it? I have fibre

Hi

I wish I could guide you...  There are so many factors:

• The fibre connectiion itself
  • The fibe modem
  • The router - WiFi device into which the fibre modem connects
  • Are you using Wåi-Fi of cable on your computer?
  • Are you running Windows or Linux or an Apple?

Seriously, issues on anyone of these would could be the problem. Did you have a working stable ADSL which you upgraded to fibre?

Some things you can try when it's disconnectedL

This will help confirm that:

1. Your PC can see the router
  2. Your PC can accesss the internet
  3. Your PC can resolve (determine) the IP address from DNS
  4. Your PC can access a network other than telkomsa.net

I fixed some of my problems by changing the default DNS (Domain Name Servers) - see DNS Lookup Failures

Hi

The problem that I am experiencing, from moving from ADSL fastest, 40mbps, to equivalent fibre option, is that I have an inconsistent connection when I am on skype. I can clearly hear the other party, but, I keep dropping off, and it is an inconsistemt signal. Nobody at Telkom has been able to offer a solution, I have logged a call, and reset my port etc etc, but, the problem continues. I never had this issue with my ADSL line. Is tghere anybody who can offer some advice?

Valued Contributor

Hi @KarenLums

Welcome to the community,  and congrats on your upgrade to fibre! 

Please post a few more details if you’re having general issues with speed and/or dropped connections. ( i.e. are speed tests OK? )

If your connection’s only dropping when you use Skype you should first check you’re using the latest Skype version with updates .  If that doesn’t fix the issue then try deleting and re-installing the Skype app , or you should find an easy fix here :-  

https://support.skype.com/en/faq/fa897/troubleshooting-problems-with-skype-calls

Hope this helps

About This Post
  • 7 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 Contributors