Welcome to the
Telkom Community

Get involved. Problem solved.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Is Telkom's infrastructure able to cope with the expanding customer base? UNRESOVED INTERNET PROBLEM

Paying for 4megabyte internet, that drops to 2megabyte then cuts off! Unresolved problem since February 2015  :-(

A technician called in December 2015 and suggested disconnecting the telephone line whilst connecting to the internet!  Technician promised to revert back to us, instead Telkom sms'd 'problem resolved'.  I am disappointed and angry that Telkom charges for a service they aren't providing.

Please refund the customers for downtime! 

Is Telkom's infrastructure able to cope with the expanding customer base?

Re: Is Telkom's infrastructure able to cope with the expanding customer base? UNRESOVED INTERNET PRO

Yippee!!! I'm not alone... I've been trying to get ADSL to my house since Dec 2015.. Between the call centre, the stores I've visited and the interactions with Telkom folks in the area I've started to understand what the real issue is... No available ports at the exchange in our area (Kromboom/crawford Cape Town).... I've just been added to the waiting list which apparantly has been growing since Oct 2015.. The weird thing is that it was extremely hard work just to learn what the real situation was..

I've been given the following advice ito waiting period on my order:

A. 7 to 10 working days (thats from the call centre)

B. Another 7 to 10 working days ( also from the call centre a week later as it seems my first order wasn't placed)( New order no - 135 49 88 33)  a week wasted!!

C. Expect it the end of May 2016 ( that's from an agent in the store) I even got this with a look of contempt as to say I was asking a rude question. lol

D. Expect is within 30 Working days ( That's from the call centre during a follow-up call) "you just have to wait sir.. it doesn't help calling us about this issue" 

Here's the rub... I only wanted internet..Now I'm paying a phone line rental (R189/month) which is compulsory if you want ADSL.. Also on the orignal advice from the call centre I purchased a package from an ISP (R325 from Axxess) Im now not able to use...

It seems the infra structure isn't what it should be and the processes and information sharing changes from person to person in Telkom..

What I can testify to though is that there are some really helpfull people in Telkom even though their hands may be tied by greater challenges within the company.. I also interacted with some robots that wasn't any help at all unfortunately..it's best to stay engaged and keep trying to find those willing to help in the org...

Frequent Contributor

Re: Is Telkom's infrastructure able to cope with the expanding customer base? UNRESOVED INTERNET PRO

Interesting two posts.

@Wendy03 - if the advice was to plug out your phone while you are using the internet, can you confirm that you have a working POTS filter on the line.  Without the filter your phone line will create extra noise affecting the SNR (signal to noise ratio) impacting your internet performance.  A SNR of below 6 will cause serious problem.  Otherwise this comment makes little sense to me....  the other capacity issue you refer to is real although it is the first I hear about a lack of ports at the exchange, I have always heard that capacity relates to the amount of bandwidth available?  I thought all the exchanges have recently been upgraded .... so we learn ...

@grylands - the client service is not great, but there are a few channels you can try.  Just look around on some of the posts and also the guide titled How to get help.  I tried all of them until something worked.  It is correct that you can't get ADSL with a phone line rental as well, there is another post on the forum on that as well at the moment - when you say advice from the call centre are you saying Telkom adviced you to buy from another ISP?  It is fully allowed but would seem strange seeing that they are an ISP as well.  

Found the answer to your question? Don't forget to Accept the Solution! 

Did you like someone's contribution? Give Kudos where Kudos are due!

Just because something doesn’t do what you planned it to do doesn’t mean it’s useless. – Thomas Edison (Inventor)

j0766 - tks for your inputs...just to clarify.. The advice from Telkom wrt when the line would be configured for ADSL lead to me choosing and signing up with an ISP in anticipation..being a Telkom newbie that proved unwise..

Frequent Contributor

@grylands understood ... yeah that was too fast ... I had my Telkom line for months before I moved to a different ISP ...

Found the answer to your question? Don't forget to Accept the Solution! 

Did you like someone's contribution? Give Kudos where Kudos are due!

Just because something doesn’t do what you planned it to do doesn’t mean it’s useless. – Thomas Edison (Inventor)
Occasional Contributor

Hi Wendy

I'm afraid the Telkom tech is misinformed:

ADSL works like this:

Airplanes fly in the sky

cars drive on the road

The ADSL signal is a base High frequency on the same piece of copper the analog voice is on a different frequency they affect each other as much as water mixes with oil or Malema loves Jacob. even the signals work differently. when your copper phone cable reaches the exchange the ADSL component branches to a DSLAM (Digital Subscriber Line Access Multiplexer) and on to the internet like the points on a railway line.

So screaming. swearing or whispering sweet nothings over the phone will not effect ADSL data flow 1 iota!!!!!!!!!!!

See any posts by me or my Learned Colleagues (j0766,brian 2244 etc) on this Blog about "ASSIA" will get you to be more informed.

The only other reason for speed loss is distance from the exchange, bad copper between the pole and your House/Office or 500 extentions we all seem to add to the one Telkom gives us at home (Me includedSmiley LOL I have bedroom,kitchen,study and garage connections all done by myself)

These problems can be sorted out by a competent techie and "sweet talk" them, (They have feelings too)I have found that a happy techhie says "okay next time we'll charge you a call out....

Regards

UncaPaul

Occasional Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi

An Addendum.

Sorry sometimes we get carried away;-)

So Wendy to Answer your Question:

"Is Telkom's infrastructure able to cope with the expanding customer base?"

Yes eventually.

With the advent of FTTH or Fibre to home a system that is 1 million times more efficient and able to transmit data much faster

than copper. The big thing in our country, is that the cable/fibre in the ground is worth squat to copper thieves. And that is a big plus!

So when its put there it's not going to be pulled out every 2 weeks!!

So everyone will benefit!!

Regards

UncaPaul

About This Post
  • 6 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 4 Contributors