Welcome to the
Telkom Community

Get involved. Problem solved.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted

LOW ADSL SYNC SPEED

I started out with a 4MB line and a few weeks in I realised that the line was too slow and opted to upgrade to a 10MB line. I have been struggling since to get any type of decent internet. 

I logged a fault with Telkom and a technician was dispatched. The technician advised that my modem is faulty and I need to have it replaced. He then closed the fault. I took the modem to the N1 City office and was advised to my surprise that the modem is in perfect working condition. A day of annual leave wasted! 

The new technician then claimed that he had resolved the issue and for a moment I was getting 6MB. This was however short lived and the problem persists. I have now again reported the fault (3rd) and again a technician has been assigned. I have little faith though that it will give any different results.

In the last month on a 10MB line my sync speed on average is 1400 (well that is the highest)

The call centre just says we can see there is a problem. the technicians are giving all kinds of reasons but nobody is fixing it. My frustration grows daily and the only thing missing to make this picture complete is a dial up sound. Then I will really be back in the 90's. 

Help please!! 
Nate 

Can anyone assist? 

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Re: LOW ADSL SYNC SPEED

Distance from exchange?

try a traceroute to yahoo in the US

the list of routers you go through will give us an indication of a bottleneck

it should look like this:

tracert.jpg

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

@NateDawg1, please post a pic of your router status here. You should log in with 10.0.0.2 and look for a link like status. You are looking for Uplink, downlink, SNR, Attenuation etc...

For ADSL, you SNR should be above 10dB and your attenuation for 10Mbps should be <35dB (the lower the better). If your line is to far, there is more resistance and therefore more noise and a 10Mbps will struggle to maintain sync at that high level. The rains are also not helping, as water increases resistance and noise.

Highlighted

Hi thesuspect

Thanks for replying.
Highlighted

Hi thesuspect

Thanks for replying.
Highlighted

router info.jpg

Highlighted

@UncaPaul please would you be so kind as to dumb it down for me. How do i do this?

About This Post
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 Contributors