Welcome to the
Telkom Community

Get involved. Problem solved.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

LandLine converted to WiFi service

We are on telkom mobile for 2 years now. Somewhere in between telkom offered us to convert our Telkom landline to connect via WiFi - said they are converting all Mobile clients landlines as it just makes sence - thought it sounds good and we receeived a free device to work with. However - since this service was switch over, NO ONE takes responsibilty when this line is not working???? Mobile says itsa landline and landline says this is mobile.

The device is really sooo entrylevel I can no even change the volume properly.

When telkom mobile / WiFi is down  I am also out of a landline and no one to report it to??

Furhter more - I am still paying a Landline rental fee?????? of R175 every month - for what!! Already paying for the mobile service?? NO ONE SEEMS TO BE ABLE TO ANSWER ME - even when I hold on for 20 minutes to be conncted somewhere. Account refer me to services and services refer me to sales, sales says this is mobile query etc etc etc....

What I would like to know is the following:

1. Can I get me physical land line back, and how?

2. Was I suppose to pay R175 for a line rental for almost 2 years when there is no line - I cannot even report a fault cause it doesnt exist?

3. why is telkom mobile suddenly so unreliable - it was good untill about a month ago - FRIDAY's the line is down for sure - now stating on Thursday's  as well - it is off this morning - now  and I have to use my airtime to call 081180 just to find that "oh Yes there is a problem" no ETA - dont offer any resolve.

3. My mobile contract is up for renewal, but unless I wait for telkom to phone me while I'm in a meeting to renew - no one can help me to renew this service - I dont know who to phone to follow up on that call?? Who do we contact. 

Regular Contributor

Re: LandLine converted to WiFi service

Hello we are members of the public just like you.

Firstly we need to get your terminology correct.

Is this the device that you're using ie a FLLA phone?
2017-09-21_1036.png

Regular Contributor

This service is R199/month and is on top of your mobile phone charge.

https://secure.telkom.co.za/today/shop/plan/fixed-line-look-alike/

Suggest you visit a Telkom shop to sort this out. I don't know if you can go back to a landline as it seems you are now fully using the Telkom cell phone network.

The device they issued was a GF-305S

yeah we are reluctantly - though we were very progressive but has been down all morning already - ugh

Regular Contributor

I think this is also a FLLA device in that it uses 8ta's 3G cell network to connect you.

If your 3G service is poor then you will have problems.

All I can suggest is you try moving the phone to another part of the house or try another network but I don't know if another network offers a FLLA service.

Good luck!

I

@hongkongpom wrote:

I think this is also a FLLA device in that it uses 8ta's 3G cell network to connect you.

If your 3G service is poor then you will have problems.

All I can suggest is you try moving the phone to another part of the house or try another network but I don't know if another network offers a FLLA service.

Good luck!

I

FLLA - Fixed line look alike telephone. Thats exactly what it is. My mom was conned in getting one as well. Got hers today. She set it up and now the landline is cut off. In my opinion, its a cellphone in a glorified telephone casing. The menu is the same as on a cheap cellphone and its even got a radio. WOW. Its got a sim/sd card and battery like any other phone. I wonder what the airtime is going to come to? The display light goes to dim mode when not in use but not off. So when it comes to replacing the battery after all the charging, I guess you can only get it at Telkom. Looks like a money making thing. The aerial is like one on a old Nokia brick or on a two way Motorola radio you get nowadays. I wonder if it is wifi or just a normal aerial? If the phone is not network locked, im sure you can put any sim card in there. The phone is not portable unless you unplug the charger and walk around with the TELEPHONE. At the end of the day, you might as well port your landline number to your cellphone, same **bleep**. lol

What is IP v 6?  If I want to connect to the internet it says IP v 6 unavailable no internet.

About This Post
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 Contributors