Welcome to the
Telkom Community

Get involved. Problem solved.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

No internet connection around 20:00 everyday

I would like to know why our internet keeps on shutting down every evening around 20:00. We have a 2 meg line uncapped. It's been happening for the following 2 weeks now. Please reply and thank you.

Re: No internet connection around 20:00 everyday

Hey Dylan

I just called Telkom technical support (10210) and they tell me that there are certain areas around the country that have this problem every night because the solar panels that run the internet at the exchanges run out of power at this time, cutting us all off...

1. Why were we never advised of this problem

2. What is Telkom doing about this

3. Why aren't they doing it quicker

4. Do we get refunded for a service we are paying for but are not receiving

5. Why are they using faulty equipment and not fixing it?  Tekom's charges are among the most expensive in the country...  Are we being ripped off?

Oh i see. Thank you. Do you maybe know if this problem can be fixed ?

Regular Contributor

@DylanA@lindy you will find that certain areas internet usage spikes at a specific time, perhaps after supper or when people come home from work and start downloading/streaming movies and series etc... At that time, an exchange could become a bit congested, much like a highway in peak traffic. I suggest reporting it to Telkom

Established Member

Same here. Sometimes the callcentre says there is maintenance that they do after hours, sometimes they have no clue. Nothing they try works. I can ping, do a speedtest (always tests very good speed), can browse to my telkomsa.net client portal but cannot do anything else.

They have logged a fault, lets see what happens. In our town often certain areas are offline and I am online, we complain on the town facebook post and it is very seldom just us, its groups of users that are offline at the same time.

It generally comes online in three or four hours again.

Frequent Contributor

Where abouts are you guys experiencing these issues?  Sounds serious ... I have never seen anything like that myself, and I agree solar power sounds like a real second rate plan if it is going to run out.  Perhaps as a backup but certainly not as the one and only source?

@Quintinza @DylanA @lindy

Found the answer to your question? Don't forget to Accept the Solution! 

Did you like someone's contribution? Give Kudos where Kudos are due!

Just because something doesn’t do what you planned it to do doesn’t mean it’s useless. – Thomas Edison (Inventor)
Established Member

For met it is Western Cape Helderberg Coastal area.
Frequent Contributor

@Quintinza - your problem doesn't sound the same as the others.  You say that have a connection and can browse to some TelkomZA content but nothing else?  What happens when you do try to browse?  Do you get any error? 

Just because something doesn’t do what you planned it to do doesn’t mean it’s useless. – Thomas Edison (Inventor)
Established Member

Hi @j0766 one thing is very similar: Internet "breaks" after 8pm for all intents and purposes and comes back after a few hours.

Symptoms:

I CAN ping. (Ping latency is not higher than normal either.)

I CAN host lookup (dns works)

I cannot browse except to two sites: speedtest.net and secure.telkomsa.net

Any active sessions break: active ssh session freezes and eventually times out for instance.

My speedtest is the same as usual, I get between 8-9.7Mbps on a 10meg line on speedtest regardless of when I test. I am very happy with that result as some people are lucky to get 6. (I had to call once after I was upgraded to fix the speed to an "as advertised" value. Please oh please if any Telkom tech reads this don't break my speed I do remote support on this line.)

For all intents and purposes it is as if my account turns into a guest account for 1-4 hours from 8pm every night to every other night.

In fact the behaviour is very similar to a guest account.

What Telkom has said on various occasions:

- there is ongoing maintenance in the western cape

- nothing is wrong it must be my equipment

- are you sure the dsl light is on (it is)

- my local exchange is perfect

- we have heard of this happening, sometimes a port reset works (it doesn't, not ever for this problem)

- my line and session seems perfect on their side

- yes there is a problem and they are shutting down some routers every night to deal with this particular issue

- it's the nationwide upgrade that is currently in the western cape

(The above not in any date order)

I'll be OK with it if a nationwide upgrade is to blame, but this has been happening since Jan on a regular basis.

Frequent Contributor

Thanks @Quintinza - your symptoms do indeed sound strange.  On the helpdesk responses, I probably would not add too much weight to it, apart from the fact that it is likely that at least 10% of it might relate to some real truth.  The part around a nationwide upgrade sounds right - i think this is them working hard on getting fibre in to replace copper as they just can't keep ahead any more.  The other part that sounds scary but could be true is the one about them knowing about a problem and shutting down some routers every night to try to deal with it...  

I am not sure where this leaves you, but I think the case and specifically the Western Cape - Helderberg Coastal area warrants a bit more investigation.  Can't promise anything as there are no Telkom techs associated to this forum, but perhaps @AW or @NC can arrange for someone with the relevant knowledge to look into this space?  I will wait to see responses from the others, unless they are in the same area i do not think there is a direct link.  The fact that this happens at 20:00 might either be coincidental, or it is just the time that everything else gets congested or it is linked to the switching off of some routers....

About This Post
  • 23 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 11 Contributors