Welcome to the
Telkom Community

Get involved. Problem solved.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Optic Fibre

Hey,

Just got Optic fibre installed, Got the 10mpbs 50gig R699 option, however I only download at 1mb/s not near 10, also have been disconnected from online gaming the entire time, keep on having to reconnect, is there anyone with a solution or perhaps reason as to why this is? 

Extremely disspointed was under the impression I was going to get a line capable of downloading 10 mb/s. False advertising? Or is there a definite problem and I should be getting around 10 mb/s. If its an area/line problem they will take time to fix I will serious be frustrated as I was told I was fibre ready at my current address.  /s 

Established Member

Re: Optic Fibre

I had a similar problem b ut not that chronic. my line was operating at 4Mb. 

First ensure that your exchange is capable of delivering 10Mb, you can check online or phone telkom.

If your exchnage is capable, ensure that you are not throttled. Telkom will be able to tell you if you are.

If you are not, ensure that telkom has put you on a 10 Mb user name. You can confirm this with telkom sales team 10210.

If you dont come allright, log in a call with telkom to have the line speed investigated by their technical team on a system called ASSIA.

Regular Contributor

@Hulu it is fibre, the exchange will support even 100mbps and there is no ASSIA, that is on ADSL.

@xavieR your 10mbps fibre should be flying, there must be a problem, so I suggest reporting it. Dont be dissappointed yet. Once going, it will be great! Lucky you for having fibre in your area

Hi, thanks it sounds like you've been on fibre or have experience with it, was wondering what the shaped/thorttled 2mb/s is like once you've run out of the 50/100gig cap pm? Telkom phoned me today and said it must be cause the line is still brand new and I must give it until friday, will report back then however I have another issue atm, every 4-5mins i get disconected from my online game, without having any issues on the internet side, i either have to restart the game or modem to get back in the game and online however if i open browser it works fine. Hope this problem dissapears soon. 

Regular Contributor

@xavieR I havent had much experience as my area doesnt yet support it. From what I have read of peoples experience is that it is very stable. The fiber is not a pair of shoes that must be warn in. It works or doesnt. You might experience slow speeds due to normal internet related dynamics like congestion etc... but not frequent disconnection. I suggest reporting it now already.

I purchased the 20 mbps fibre optic service, it ran very close to 20 mbps.... NOW it is running betwee 3.3 mbps and 6.4 mbps.... tried to phone Telkom Technical line .... spoke to 5 people ..... no solution.... nobody can explain... tried resetting router....still a problem!  

nb. it seems that the problem started after I signed up for the Data bundle as well...

Can TELKOM respond to these problems?  it is pointless to discuss it with anyone else.... i need a technical person to resolve this...

Frequent Contributor

@Liquito Telkom doesn't respond to anyone here, this is peer 2 peer support only.  

Found the answer to your question? Don't forget to Accept the Solution! 

Did you like someone's contribution? Give Kudos where Kudos are due!

Just because something doesn’t do what you planned it to do doesn’t mean it’s useless. – Thomas Edison (Inventor)
Regular Contributor

@Liquito what data bundle did you buy? That should have no bearing on your speed unless perhaps you bought Uncapped that was meant for a 10mbps or less speed line. Example an 10Mbps Uncapped would limit your 20Mb FTTH to under 10Mbps.

Problem has been sorted out..... The department that was supposed to process the "upgrade" had not done so..... Telkom representative arrived Sunday morning (service on a Sunday?  Exceeded my expectations) and managed to sort out problem.... Set-up is now clocking 20 mb/s....

Established Member

Mate I am experiencing the exact same issue, doesn't matter what online multiplayer game I try I'm not connected for longer than 3 min before I am disconnected and have to log back in, in which there is no point as 3 min later same thing happens, so frustrating! Please if you get any feedback or figure out the fix please could you let me know, would appreciate it.
About This Post
  • 12 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 6 Contributors