Welcome to the
Telkom Community

Get involved. Problem solved.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Paying for 10meg line but only getting 4meg

Hi
I'm currently paying for a 10meg line while my actual download speed is only 4meg/s, my router says the same. Recently I used the afrihost client zone line speed check, and it said my max line speed is 20meg/s. Anyone know how accurate this is?
Valued Contributor

Re: Paying for 10meg line but only getting 4meg

Hi @Liaquate

I can’t speak for Afrihost speed check accuracy but 4mb is very slow on a 10 mb line.  Could be a line issue or wrong speed set at Telkom exchange . Have you recently upgraded your line speed with Telkom ?  

You could check the max attainable line speed, starting with your router stats   -  more info here :  https://www.htxt.co.za/2014/01/19/check-adsl-lines-maximum-supported-speed/

When your line is synchronising at lower speeds than it should one place to start is your DSL connection statistics - you can find them by logging into your ADSL router (look for wording such as signal-to-noise ratio (SNR), and line attenuation - sometimes referred to as resistance).

The higher the SNR the better, and the lower the attenuation the better. 

• SNR should be at least 6dB, but preferably higher than 9 or 10dB.

• Attenuation/resistance should be below 55dB, but preferably lower than 45dB

Hope this helps, I understand Afrihost will report a fault to Telkom for you if needed   - please keep us posted .

Hi
Stats from my router:

ADSL_2plus
Traffic Type: ATM
Link Power State: L0

Downstream Upstream
Line Coding(Trellis): On On
SNR Margin (0.1 dB): 17.3 26.5
Attenuation (0.1 dB): 17.0 9.1
Output Power (0.1 dBm): 0 126
Attainable Rate (Kbps): 18100 1324
Valued Contributor

Hi again @Liaquate

Thanks for update . I'm no expert but the stats look fine to me .

Unfortunately the forum isn't manned by Telkom support agents ( we're customers like you - no other link to Telkom), but it'll be helpful to know if you recently upgraded Telkom line speed , the upgrade may still be in process ? They would first do conformance tests to confirm 10 mbps is available from the exchange. 

Highlighted

Hi

Actually got the 10mbps package a year ago, speeds have been stuck at 4mbps since.
Valued Contributor

Hi @Liaquate

OK from the details you've posted it seems that either your line to the exchange won't support the higher speed, or something's amiss on exchange settings.

If you haven't already so,  try a router reset and ask 10210 to reset your port . If all else fails you should report a fault for Telkom to attend and check why you're only  getting 4mb and paying for 10 mb. 

Hope this helps.

About This Post
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 Contributors