Welcome to the
Telkom Community

Get involved. Problem solved.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Poor Fibre

Really disappointed - converted from ADSL (that was poor but workable) to fibre three months ago - the service from Telkom is supposed to be a 20Mbps down load and a 2Mbps upload.

I test the line only when I struggle to get service. So far I have had only three days of an acceptable service (95% of the package I bought) in three months. How seriously poor is that? Appears that someone is steeling my money and, you know, I cant do anything to get them to repay me what they haven't supplied! Don't mention the consumer act - doesn't apply to Telkom. Where there is no accountability there is no responsibility!

So.... in a state of desperation, what do i do.

Have you tried to report a fibre issue on the Telkom fault reporting site. Its impossible - they don't even have a fibre option. Yet their site is an award winning site, what a joke!

Re: Poor Fibre

Hi, Sorry to hear your story.  "Fiber requires precision facilities on site, but works very durably once kicks in"  is an impression of my 18months. 

Physical factors are here , my house is a total 150m away from a Telkom Street Cabinet (100m underground, 50m overhead though trees) in typical Green area in Cape Town. Notwithstanbding that there are lots of Birds, Cats (incl my naughty cat) climbing on Telkom Poles, the speed yield rates have been constantly : Download 95-105%, Upload 42-48% to Spec 10Mbps. I have to add the Gale Force from Table Mountain to above uncontrolable natural conditions.

From this regards I have really thanked Telkom for offering me a conversion from ADSL to FTTH, otherwise I would not had it.

I hope you would get the better performance soon accordingly. Good Luck !

Thanks for the support.

I have the latest, and best technology on site according to Telkom, but I'm getting a 1,78Mbps feed on a 20Mbps line (sorry contract). This is less than a 5% service delivery! Where does anyone get away with this sort of delivery, but at Telkom?

Please, if you have any contacts at Telkom that could help, please share and help me sort my problem out?

Sorry to hear your yield 5% for 3months.  Have you got a techincian to test "Continutity" , "Quality of Connetions",  "Optical Power reaching you", etc ? It seems that you don't need to consult but need to have the site tests to be done.  During fiber installation I made the efforts to provide technicians with the best "Optical Friedly Routing" of cables to avoid "Sharp Bend ", etc by my assitance in the dusty roof.   It might be a reason of the stable fiber so far. It is not a joke that my cat touches the optical cable behind the router/OTE but Fiber is not fragile as I worried. 

About This Post
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 Contributors