Telkom Community

Get involved. Problem solved.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
DPG

Shockingly slow internet speed

Hi

I have a 4 MB line but for the past 8 weeks have been getting speeds worse than having a 56k modem, counting today I have logged 4 calls. The technicain calls to say the issue has been resolved and then the issue starts again. It is as though when the call is active all speeds are fine but once the call is closed it is pathetic again.

Regular Contributor

Re: Shockingly slow internet speed

@DPG, it's us members helping each other here.  Have you tried a few of these things?

• What is your line SNR and Attenuation? (get from router)
  • How many devices are connected?
  • Are you doing any uploads, like syncing Google Drive or even a virus thats send a ton of data. This upload saturates your uplink and your line will appear to be very slow.
  • Have you swopped POTS filters
  • Have you tried connecting to the router using a LAN cable instead of Wifi

DPG

Hi

Yes, i have tried all the points mentioned, i even tried different ISP. The tech mentioned that there is congession at the exchange and he will resolve but i am not getting any joy. it works fine around 3-6 in the mrn and 11-15 but after that the speeds are very bad.

I am thinking of moving my ADSL line from telkom to the ISP as they might get better response in resolving the matter.

FYI : when it works  line my results are listed below, I have a 4MB line

Ping : 7-11ms

Download : 3.80 - 4.05 MB/s

Upload : 0.45KB/s

Regular Contributor

@DPG, keep logging it. Ask them to escalate due to exchange congestion.  They may even be able to divert you to another DSLAM close by that is not congested as much.

COngestion can take a while to resolve, because it usually means they have to add more bandwidth to an exchange, which entails budget and planning.

ever since i have been throtteld my internet speed is slow its a new month and my speed is stil slow i have tried everything awaiting on them to check the exchange, my speed was normal just for 2 hours, im thinking of moving to a different isp, my friend lives just down the road, he joined afrihost and his speed is normal

About This Post
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 Contributors