Welcome to the
Telkom Community

Get involved. Problem solved.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Slow Fibre, fast speed test

Hi there,

I just want to know why am I getting slow download speeds at best I get 1MB download on a 10MB Fiber,

Speed test shows close to 9.6MB download and 4.5MB upload speeds; what am I missing here?

Re: Slow Fibre, fast speed test

I have the exact issue. But a 20MB line.

Speed test is very incosistent but does show good speeds at times...

However some websites are not even loading and need to be refresehed before fully loading.

It seems to be super unstable

Regular Contributor

@samsed a speed test is a dedicated server that makes a small file available for transfer with the aim of determining your throughput. The result indicates that your line can and is transferring at said speed meaning that your ISP/provider is providing the pipe that is capable of the speed.

Then there are all the other variable, one being the speed of the server that you intend to download from. For example, if Microsoft had a 1Mb link, you cannot expect 10Mb downloads. Do a Trace route to the site that you are trying to download from, and see at which hop the ping jumps up. ALso, is the download slow on all sites or just certain sites?

The aim is to determine if the fault lies with the ISP/Provider or with the website.

@thesuspect the download is slow on all sites max 1MB, Microsoft, Google Drive, FTP and I am not even downloading any torrents, even when my daughter watches Youtube she has to wait for the page to load.

I had Openserve to come and test the Fiber and they indicated that it's not the fiber that is faulty, nor my Routers as I have 2 D-links, (1 that was still in plastic that the technician opened)

I have tried to explain this to Telkom that it's on their side as they are my ISP 

So just want to add here you are measuring in MB and not Mbps
Your line is measured in Mbps by telkom or whoever you are with
10Mbps will download at 1.25 MB/s
I have a 100Mbps line and when I download anything it shows the download at around 12MB/s

I just want to add to this and I may seem a bit rude but I'm just going to say it how it is
Your line is a 10Mbps and not a 10MB/s line just to clear that up, although I'm sure you meant this.
But this means that your downloads will show as 1MB on a browser but 1MB is = to 10Mbps
I have a 100Mbps line that reports downloads of around 12MB/s in my browser

Sorry not sure why it posted twice and that it posted both things

Highlighted

Exact same issue. I have a 10 Mbps line which worked great until about a month ago. Called Telkom and they reset something on their side but this did nothing. Even tried restarting the modem many times to no joy. Telkom needs to now send a Technician out. They have also indicated that the number of connections/devices could be an issue but I dont think this is it.

Speed test looks fine. My usual test is Google. The site will not load until a few refreshes. Another indicator is that certain websites will stop displaying pictures...

Very frustrating.

About This Post
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 Contributors