Important! Community will be closing.

Please go to gethelp.telkom.co.za
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted

Slow line but WIFI is normal

HI

Im not sure whats wrong but i can connect to my wifi and it works but as soon as i connect my laptop to the modem the internet connection is slow. It takes forever to open my search engin. When i want to download something, like speedtest, it doens even go onto that page, just loads nothing more. Get them to refresh my line but the problem still there. Please can anyone give me advice. 

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Re: Slow line but WIFI is normal

Hi @Klippie5,

Some details needed please , will  try to help you -

Are you on a new Telkom installation or recent contract upgrade?  

Is your internet connecting & working normally on your other devices ( on cable or wifi )  until you connect the laptop?  

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

You are talking about two different animals.

There is the Wifi and the Internet.

You join the Wifi box and the Wifi box joins the Internet.

So your signal to the Wifi is perfect but the Internet signal is rubbish.

Has anything led up to this?

Highlighted

HI

Its a new Installation, only been on for about a week.

The wifi works 100%

The cable i havent connected to anything else than the laptop. If i have my phone with me on wifi and i open the internet on both the laptop and my phone at the same time, my phone is faster, even with searching for things my phone is faster than the line. When im connected via the cable to my laptop i cant even download anything, the page never loads, show its loading but nothings happening.

Highlighted

Hi Hongkongpom

I have a VDSL2/ADSL2+ Wireless N300 4-port router with 3G failover

So its all in one.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Did Telkom install,  configure the router & verify the line on their equipment  ?

Your phone might be auto switching to cellular data if wifi internet is weak or off . See if you still get internet on the phone if its cellular data is switched off . 

As Hongkongpom said, sounds like the issue is your line. A strong router wifi signal doesn't mean you're connected to internet, only that your wifi devices are seeing each other .  

Highlighted

No they only installed it, i had to setup my router.

But i phoned them this morning and they said the line is fine, they cant pick up any problems on their side.

When i connect via my phone i always switch off my mobile data.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

OK, then perhaps try a speed test on the phone to confirm the line's doing what it should -  Is it fibre or adsl ? 

About This Post
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 Contributors