Get involved. Problem solved.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Established Member
Accepted Solution

Strange intermittent connection issues

I am on a 4mbps adsl line with best speed of 3.53mpbs not great for todays needs but it is the fastest that Telkom offers in my area, an issue for another day so onto my problem.

For more than two months now I have had constant problems with my line. I was having very slow internet connectivity which was confirmed with the speed test app. My speed was all over the show from as low as 0.10mbps up to normal speed and back down to some other slow speed and it would stay this way for quite some time before finally settling down to normal speed. I powered down all devices that could be connected to my wifi, checked that I was recieving updates and checked if any unknown devices were connecting to my wifi and there weren't any.

I did a factory reset on my router and bought a new filter and phone line. Telkom eventually sent a man around while I was at work to do whatever it is they do to the line outside and for a few days I was overjoyed to find my speed back to normal. It was short lived however as less than a week went by before the same problem returned. More calls were logged and ports reset etc until another man was sent out to do the myterious things they do and this time he was successfull because to this day my speed is exactly where it should be which brings me to the problem that I have now.

When I go onto my online banking which I do very regularly I sit staring at a white page for up to five minutes before it finally loads and then I spend another five minutes or longer waiting for it to log in. Other websites both local and international take longer than usual to load.

Youtube videos which I normaly watch in 720p only play at the very lowest quality and if I set it higher I can wait for over ten minutes for a three minute video to finally play.

I have a wifi connection for DSTV and with my PC switched off and no other devices powered on I can't watch any downloadable content because it says i have no internet connection.

While waiting for these things to happen if I run a speed test I get a 23ms ping and 3.50mbps connection speed which I should not be getting if anything was actually loading.

I have been given assistance by the call centre guys who have verified that my line seems to be connected fine and after they do a port reset suddenly everything works like it should, only for a few hours though.

It is not always like this because some times it works like normal. The reason I came to post here is because I was mad about trying to watch a Youtube video which would not play yet I went back right now and loaded the same video which has buffered five minutes ahead of the two minutes of real time.

It does not matter what time of day I try to use the internet be it 3pm or 3am it is the same experience.

One call centre guy suggested I downgrade to a 2mbps line and i think he was serious. Probably thought if I did that then buffering would be a normal experience and i wouldn't notice anything wrong.

This is really frustrating me because i have done everything I can do from a hardware perspective and I have cleared caches and flushed DNS and all the rest to no avail.

Now I am on days off and when they finally decide to send a tech I will probably be back at work again.

Any...............w................a.......y.... .....th.....a....................t...'...............s m....................................y .............................comp..........la.........i..............nt.

Frequent Contributor

Re: Strange intermittent connection issues

That is an X-file!

A couple of suggestions

1) Log into the modem and change the DNS from automatic to 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4 (Google's free DNS service). Also check the DHCP list to make sure no one else is logged into your router.

2) Do you have a neighbour with DSL that is working properly that you can take your modem to, to see if it does the same there or have them bring theirs to yours?

Established Member

Well seeing as this is a bit of an intermittent problem it may be to early to tell but it does seem like your solution with the DNS has worked.

Don't know why Telkom couldn't have suggested this.

Thank mate.

Established Member

Oh well the problem is back so I guess the DNS address was not it. Funny thing is after making a call to their tech support it always seems to work ok for a while after they reconfigure the ports.

Oh and definitely not a neighbour using my bandwidth because my nearest neighbour is well outside of my wireless range.

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

Ok I would now try to bring a known good modem to your place to see if it acts up. Don't change anything in their modem just plug it into your line and see if it works normally.

It sounds like you have an intermittent problem on your line or a modem problem.

Good luck!

I have exactly the same problem it no solution to date. They even provided me with a new modem. Keep me posted please!!!! Very frustrated

Established Member

Well it has gotten worse, instead of just having a problem with certain sites I am back to my original problem of having no speed. After performing a number of speed tests I am getting an average of 0.07mpbs. Great stuff so I will be lucky if this reply actually posts lol.

Anyway I bit the bullet while I was at worked and made use of their internet to order a new adsl filter and router which should completely eliminate my hardware as the problem.

Frequent Contributor

Are you hearing any crackling when you listen to the landline?

Keep us updated please on how you go

Established Member

Hi

No the landline is nice and clean.

Just watched a Youtube video at 720p and it played fine but right after the next video loads up at 144p and plays but anything above that doesn't. Ran a speed test right away and the result is 56ms ping and 3.52mbps download which is my normal download speed but the ping is very high.

My DSTV wifi connector shows my download as 0.00mbps.

Almost every website both local and foreign either take minutes to load or they load and have the still working icon running on both Edge and Chrome.

This is so frustrating but once my new router and filter arrives in a few days time I will have eliminated the possibility of it being on my end. BTW I have swapped out all of my connecting wires with new ones aswell. 

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

Howzit hmm that is a strange one.

Watching DSTV streaming over the Wifi box is it ok?

About This Post
  • 18 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 7 Contributors