Welcome to the
Telkom Community

Get involved. Problem solved.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Re: Strange intermittent connection issues

I'm having the exact same problem and now reverting to posting on any social media and complaints platform as this is driving me insane!!

I have teh exact same issue started last week Thursday. i have a 10Mb adsl line. Intermittent line speeds. Both my DSTV explorers connected via cable is showing a download speed of 0.00Mb. Call logged with Telkom , awaiting feedback. I also had somone come out last month from Telkom ( Open Serve ) for the intermittent line speeds , the guy worked on the exchange and said thats were the fault was. The DSTV line speed test at  0.00Mb is new.

Established Member

Well this issue I am having is without a doubt Telkom's fault.

After doing everything they suggested such as rebooting router, plugging directly into the line ,clearing cache, having technicians work on the line and all the rest of the stuff that did not resolve my issue it took a storm to get it fixed.

I am being serious here it literally took a storm to fix everything.

Two days ago where I live we had a major storm that knocked out the electricity in the entire region for hours. Now I am sure telkom has back up power supplies but I bet their system went down even if it was only a few minutes which would have effectively been a reboot of their network in my region.

Everything has been working since then and I didn't make any changes.

The next few days will determine if everything is truly in working order but i bet it will be fine for a long time now.

Anyone else having this issue start praying for a blackout now because Telkom is not going to restart their network for you.

Frequent Contributor

So God must have heard your dilemma :-)

Sounds like the MSAN box got rebooted which means it was a port issue at the MSAN.

If it happens again try swapping hardware with a known good device. If your modem works at a different location served by a different MSAN box then you'll know. You also take your modem to a Telkom shop which will be served by a different MSAN box.

If it's because the MSAN was overheating then the problem will return so keep us informed please.

Established Member

Well it's been two weeks since the storm forced a Telkom reboot so here is the update.

It seems the DSTV streaming content is a pretty common problem which most people have attributed to DSTV themselves so we can leave that out although my dodgy internet probably contributes to the problem.

For the past two weeks my speed has been stable and dare I say good BUT! The past two days Youtube streaming has had the occasional micro pause sometimes.

Today though I am banging my head against the wall, why? 62ms ping and 1.35mbps download is why.

After the last service agent promised to escalate and have a technician come round I never heard from them again and seeing as it was working I figured why bother but here we are again.

Do I have to sell my house and move to an area with a 10mbps line so that I can still be happy if it loses half it's speed?

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

Doing my told you so dance sorry for you.

It is unacceptible that Telkom won't come to your home.

If you know where the MSAN box is (big white box) put your ear to it to see if you can hear the cooling fan working inside. Also try to talk to a neighbour.

All I can suggest is that you try their twitter channel @telkomza because they seem to respond to that.

Good luck!

Hi There,

Re: Intermittant / slow internet: 

I, too, am paying for a 4Mbps line and am lucky if I can get up to 2Mbps at any time. I have done all my checks on devices, wifi and connectivity over and over. I'm studying for my degree online and have missed important exam/assignment deadlines due to the fact that the internet times out while uploading/downloading content to or from the university virtual learning portal. (Each time this happens, I have checked with the university technical support team and the fault has NOT been on the university's side). As a result I have been marked 0% for some assignments and may end up failing to receive my qualification, because the university doesn't accept late submissions. I also can't EFT my rent or Telkom bill when I need to (how ironic!) I have patiently called Telkom for assistance over 6 times in less than six months. There is temporary relief after a technician works on the fault (at my residence and/or remotely), at which time the line has sped up temporarily (never over 2Mbps though) and then the speed slows down again to between 0.2Mbps - 0.9 Mbps. I HAVE LOGGED ANOTHER INTERNET/ADSL FAULT EARLY THIS MORNING (02 OCTOBER 2017). 

Re: The Telkom website: 

The Telkom website is counter-intuitive and sub-standard. I have visited the website several times to try and A. Manage my account online; B. View or pay a Telkom bill online; C. to register internet faults, D. To change my account passwords and E. To post on the community forum. All of these processes have been probelmatic.

The prompts are easy and logical, however, one ends up going round in circles only to reach a dead end and/or, try several different ways to actually follow said prompts to conclusion vis a vis log a query. And I am yet to actually reach someone through the website's chat function for some real-time assistance! 

I have just spent more than 2 hours trying to log a fault, log an electronic query and find someone to assist.  Meanwhile, I have yet another university deadline looming. What's the difference between sitting on the phone waiting for a consultant to pick up the call or reaching the Telkom website, I wonder? 

What pathetic, incompetent "service" (the latter term is used loosely). Telkom, if I fail my degree for lack of internet to upload/download my work, I will sue. Legally, how can a telecommunications business of this scale get away with advertising services that it doesn't support or provide? The Consumer Protection Act, has a precise statement on these issues. And it is easy to track and prove these faults. 

Telkom, I will sue you if I don't get my degree come December, 2017, due to the fact that I was unable to submit all assignments and sit for online exams due the the faulty internet connections. 

Frequent Contributor

You know something else that has struck a chord with me, is if the MSAN equipment is cheap Chinese rubbish which would explain these strange problems.

Highlighted

I have the exact same problem, phoned up TELKOM and said that this is ridiculous because I pay alot of money for the service that I basically can not use anymore.

The poor call centre tech guy actually said to me to get another Internet service provider due to the fact that it is the congestion on the line that causes the problem and there is nothing that they can do about it..... 

THIS IS WHAT YOU CALL COMPETENT SERVICE PROVIDING!!! THUMBS UP TELKOM, YOUR EXCELLENT SERVICE PROVISION EXCEED ALL OTHER COMPANIES!!!

About This Post
  • 18 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 7 Contributors