Telkom Community

Get involved. Problem solved.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Accepted Solution

Sync Rate Higher Than My Line Speed

Hi Guys, 

I recently noticed that I am getting 12-14Mbps, even though I only have a 10Mbps line. I checked on my router and its says the sync rate is 15Mbps. 

I asked my ISP about it and they said that they simply cannot control that and they cannot bill me for a 20Mbps. 

Anyone else ever had this? 

Of course I am not complaining Smiley Happy 

Highlighted
Established Member

Re: Sync Rate Higher Than My Line Speed

Referring to the Mybroadband forums, it seems Telkom is currently enabling new profiles, which will result in higer sync rates, depending on line stats.

If you have a capped account at your ISP, you should get the higher speed without any issue.

If you have an uncapped account, you may need to upgrade your uncapped package.

Regards

Francois

Established Member

Thank you for that! Smiley Very Happy 

Well, I am on a Uncapped package so technically it should not sync higher but it does and I enquired about this with my ISP and their answer was simply "You are lucky"  - they also mentioned they are busy trying to sort this out (Legal issues I am sure) 

Established Member

Hi, your line will sync higher, but your speed will be capped according to your uncapped package.

If you do a speedtest, you should not notice a higher speed.

Regards

Francois

I wish that were true for me.  I have capped, and my actual is slower than my subscribed speed.

@OrbiterZA wrote:

Hi, your line will sync higher, but your speed will be capped according to your uncapped package.

If you do a speedtest, you should not notice a higher speed.

Regards

Francois

Hi Francois, 

That is where I noticed it, I simply wanted to do a speedtest for the sake of it and noticed the download speed was between 11-14Mbps. 

I should do a proper download test and see what speed it runs at! 

Will revert later with the findings Smiley Very Happy 

@Yazbekistan wrote:

I wish that were true for me.  I have capped, and my actual is slower than my subscribed speed.

Well, to be fair - You will never truly get your full line speed. 4Mbps and 10Mbps lines are the most congested in our country as most people use them so you will  "normally" see download speeds of 3,5-3,8Mbps for the 4Mpbs line and then between 8-9Mbps for the 10Mbps lines. 

You might get the full download speed of you line with P2P downloads but not usually with other services. 

(I might be wrong with the above statement, but this is my personal experience with a 4Mbps and 10Mbps lines at various locations I have stayed before)

About This Post
  • 7 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 3 Contributors