Welcome to the
Telkom Community

Get involved. Problem solved.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

TI Entertainment Bolt On

[ Edited ]

I am thinking of signing up for Fiber from Telkom in my area, I watch Netflix and Showmax a lot. But I have read that the R99 bolt on is only up to 30 June?

After reading this community, it also seems that this bolt-on also doesn't work correctly.

This sounds to me that those who have paid for it, should complain at the Consumer Council and that Telkom should stop advertising it on its homepage, maybe somebody needs to inform the Advertising Standards Authority of South Africa.

Moderator Moderator

Re: TI Entertainment Bolt On

Hi @jakehawk, I have requested that the info is updated. For now, Netflix and ShowMax has been extended to end of August at which point they will review the trial and determine a way forward. SHould you subscribe and have any issues, please let me know here.

output_Svao80.gif

@jakehawk Thanks, I was about to post an exact clone of your question, but you saved me the time ;-)

@NCThanks for clarifying. I've just added the package too as I love Netflix! :-)

Hi - we just paid and subscribed on 27th September, via the website.  

The bolt on has NOT worked and despite calling Telkom 4 times, spending a total of 1 hour 15 minutes getting passed from ignorant sales personnel to equally ignorant "technical" personnel (each of whom promised to us that a senior/more knowledgeable colleague would call us within 30 minutes with a solution, which never happened) - it still doesnt work.

We have 10mbps Fibre installed recently and we only paid for the Entertainment package as we ran out of data and had already topped up a few times. As there is no available monthly data package in between 100gb per month (what we have) and Uncapped (which is a total rip off), our only solution as we use around 120 - 140gb per month is to top up all the time. We figured that most of our data usage was going on Netflix, thus the TI Entertainment package seemed like a good idea. But sadly, as with almost everything else related to Telkom, we are baffled, irritated and dissatisfied with what we have received. I shoud add we are also amazed that this inept and inefficient company still manages to get away with charging customers so much money, whilst giving some of the worst customer service we have ever experienced from any organisation. 

So, on 30th September, Telkom still has our money, our service doesnt work and no one has bothered to call us back despite numerous promises of assistance. Incredible. How on earth do you get away with it ? In a competitive market (which this isn't, sadly), the business would not survive. 

I started using Telkom LTE and choose the entertanment bolt -on.   On there website it states that it is uncapped streaming of Netflix, Showmax , Apple music etc.   What they do not tell you is that they only allow 10 GB then throttle you to 128k.  For anyone that knows anything about streaming you are not able to stream Showmax at this rediculus speed.  In other words this package is just a smart lie from telkom.  You can only stream 10 gigs of showmax on their entertainment bolt on.  After this they throttle you and you are unable to use showmax , netflix , I do not even think you will be able to stream apple music on this.

They throttle you after 10gb.  On there website it states that it is uncapped streaming of Netflix, Showmax , Apple music etc.   What they do not tell you is that they only allow 10 GB then throttle you to 128k.  For anyone that knows anything about streaming you are not able to stream Showmax at this rediculus speed.  In other words this package is just a smart lie from telkom.  You can only stream 10 gigs of showmax on their entertainment bolt on.  After this they throttle you and you are unable to use showmax , netflix , I do not even think you will be able to stream apple music on this.

Contributor

@gerhardn, if you go to the website page for ShowMax, under the "The Small Print", you will find a button for FAQ that contains this info

https://secure.telkom.co.za/today/help/downloads/file/showmax-faqs-update/

Look at it this way, nowhere else will you get 10Gb of Mobile data for R99

All fair and well.  The problem is that they use words like "Uncapped" , "Unlimited" in their advertisements.  Which with the new legislation around "Treating customers fairly"  is walking on thin ice.  The customer needs to understand clearly what they get, and by using these terms the wrong impression is created.  Also on the same advertisement they include "Netflix" streaming, which in reality is not inluded.  Not sure if contradicting terms and conditions must be allowed. 

Contributor

@gerhardn, haha, Unlimitted like FNB Unlimited Cheque account. Used to give you unlimited ATM withdrawals but now only 6. Quite a difference between Unlimited and 6.

This product to my knowledge was always just an ADSL thing, and as you know ADSL data is cheaper that Mobile. Telkom has since allowed it on LTE but only with 10Gb. I did search their product page and find no mention of Uncapped or Unlimited though.

Another thing to keep in mind is to not stream via a VPN service (UnoTelly etc...) as the packets cannot be traced and as a result cannot be zero rated. I did enquire a while back and Netflix was definitely part of the package.

Highlighted

Hi - you asked for customers having issues with TI Entertainment to contact you here. I am - I posted already (below you in this thread) under the name "Flabbergasted". Well, nearly 5 weeks on from that post, I can tell you that TI Entertainment still doesnt work for us. What's worse is that the data we use watching mainly Netflix is coming directly out of our data bundle included in our 10mb fibre line rental. In other words, subscribing to TI Entertainment is having exactly the opposite effect to the one advertised on the Telkom website. The only vaguely helpful person we managed to get hold of was via complaining on Hello Peter. After a long wait of over 1 week for a response to our complaint, someone from the Telkom social media watching team got in touch and told us categorically that TI does work and that he would refund our R99 and have us connected asap. We are still waiting to see if the refund has been processed. He said further that he had to wait for his "technical" dept to switch TI on for us but that they were experiencing problems. Eventually, he emailed to say it had been switched on and that we could check by looking at our monthly usage page on our online account. We looked and did indeed see the word Active against TI Entertainment, together with a meaningless figure of 102,400 GB (!). Every attempt to contact the individual who "helped" us since that time has resulted in no response. However, I can report that over the last 7-9 days or so, the figure of 102,400 GB has not changed - this indicates to me not only that there is an error on that page (so the information cant be trusted) but also that there is no consumption of data occurring via Ti Entertainment. Meanwhile, we get daily data consumption reports for our fibre bundle and....on the days when we have watched Netflix, suddenly the data consumption increases from modest to large. Basically, it is obvious - as with other contributors's stories - that Telkom is still taking the media streaming data out of our bundle and that TI simply doesnt work. Does it even exist ?!? Why is this company allowed to lie to us like this ? In any normal country, the company would be prosecuted and face enormous penalties for mistreating/misleading its customers. Unbelievable. We will escalate this now on social media and with the press - Telkom deserves to be punished for this abuse of paying customers. 

About This Post
  • 14 replies
  • 29 kudos
  • 10 Contributors