Welcome to the
Telkom Community

Get involved. Problem solved.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
znh

Technicians simply closing faults

I had adsl in the past and cancelled everything due to the poor service from telkom. Here is why:

My line used to be stable 10mbps. Telkom installed FTTH in the area. Suddenly my line started disconnecting at random with excessive noise at random times.

I had some techies out and they traced the fault back to an underground join that was damaged and proclaimed that a different department was responsible for fixing it. The noise was present where the line comes out of the underground duct. Then after a couple of days I find the fault closed but the problem remains. I log a new fault, the outcome is the same. I was very patient and tried 7 times, logging new faults every time.

After fault 7 was closed I cancelled all my telkom services. Telkom does not have any interest to fix the actual problem. If they were then they would do the following:

If telkom is serious about service they should plug in a adsl-modem that can record the noise & quality (they would measure the quality of the service and determine if the service is acceptable). They should fix infrastructure (broken cable joins).

If a technician should have to prove that the service was measured over a week and if the service was within acceptable standard.

They should allow customers to re-open faults, they should monitor why faults are re-opened.

They should fire technicians that close faults without fixing the original problems or not doing their job. They are giving telkom a bad reputation and the rootcause of the perception about poor service.

They should follow up after the fault was fixed that the customer is happy with the service.

If they fix the issue then they could have saved themselves 6 callouts of 2-4 hours each, numerous hours of phone calls, and a lot of bad publicity from my side.

I realise that the chances are very good that telkom will ignore this post, if they do, I hope they go under.

Established Member

Re: Technicians simply closing faults

I wish I could thumb this up more than once.

This is precisely the problem - technicians measured on faults CLOSED not faults FIXED.

znh

@mpdjhb wrote:

I wish I could thumb this up more than once.

This is precisely the problem - technicians measured on faults CLOSED not faults FIXED.

If I could just ask everyone to add their experiences to this thread and give some kudos, tell us how many faults you logged before the issue was fixed/before you cancelled all Telkom services. Maybe Telkom will realise that this is a huge problem... and actually do something about it! Yes a long shot I know!

Established Member

14 Days, no internet, despite daily cals and internet contact. 3 Faults (for the same problem) closed, not resolved. Sms asks you to confirm if it has been fixed, despite my adamant "NO" there was no reaction whatever.

Badly trained staff, no control

It took about 4 times of re-opening the fault.  It would always close after the technician finished his physical inspection and him saying that the problem needs to be escalated.

ADSL line x 2 (why so that when one goes down I still have service)

The one line has been deprecated for months now and disconnects every 30 seconds when connecting through a bridge mode modem… since an “upgrade” - multiple calls logged - they have no clue.

Now the depricated line has been dead for a week... and they can't get a technician to even call me.

Telkom, what a company... I had a lengthy discussion with an ex-technician that now works for one of Telkom’s contractors – where did we chat? We chatted at one of the Telkom exchanges where he was installing new equipment for Telkom.  Why did he resign from Telkom… they don’t promote based on performance but on connections.  His advised me to take a hammer and visit one of the Telkom customer service centers and demand that they get the problem resolved.  He implied that the only way to get something done in this country is to break things or assault people.  I told him that I didn’t like his solution and he said that he understands, but if I wanted my problem solved, I should threaten people to get my way.  Wow…

Suffice it to say that the guy was not pigmentally challenged, but I understood what he was telling me… then again, the students proved him right the other day… break things and people listen. You seem to need to attack the establishment (company) to get service.  This is a shame as this shouldn’t be the way that we react.   

Established Member

Lol - I had to check your user name to see it was not a post I wrote and forgot about. I ALSO have 2 lines, for the same reason. I ALSO have one line working and the other not at any given point in time I ALSO have faults simply closed with out repairs been made
Established Member

Was just now informed by SMS that "I recently interacted with a technician" and that my fault is closed.

I never saw even a wisp of a technie, nor is the fault fixed.

Absolutely staggered by the uselessness of Telkom right now...

This happened to me today. Telkom is truly, utterly worthless and employincompetent idiots. I'm on the phone, holding, as I type this. I hate dealing with these awful people.

I have been battling for the last month, Telkom is not looking at the fault. I've had a technician arriving on the site on two occassions he just stops in front of the property and then moves on.

Please help to get this trending : https://twitter.com/idolza/status/674956173204934657

About This Post
  • 13 replies
  • 52 kudos
  • 11 Contributors