Welcome to the
Telkom Community

Get involved. Problem solved.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Telkom ISP speed vs Afrihost ISP speed

Okay, so my ISP is Telkom and have a 4mb/s, 20GB+20GB capped account.  I specifically chose a capped account because I wanted speed and no throttling.  Everything was hunky-dory until about 4 months ago when my speed started fluctuating.  It started small, but gradually got worse, until it became near impossible to surf the web at all.  I struggled to even download a YouTube video, which would start off at 250kb/s (which was already low), and would gradually slow to a stop after about a minute.  After quite a few fault logs, and faults being closed without resolutions, and arguments (can you believe that at one point I was advised to downgrade? To what!? THey just couldn't understand that there was a problem), eventually a supervisor told me that the exchange in my area is congested and that they would need to upgrade it.  Fine, I understand.  Amazingly, it seemed like they did just that a month later (about a month ago).  So, it stopped fluctuating so wildly, but not entirely - at least our frustration when surfing has gone down a lot.

BUT THEN came a free sign up to Afrihost with a cap of 1GB package, and uncapped from 12-6am, which I can now switch between the two ISP's anytime I want.  O.M.G. - the speed! and the STABILITY!!  My youtube downloads run at +550kb/s with Afrihost - constantly!!!

That means that there IS NO congestion, and that the problem is solely with TELKOM as ISP.

Can someone worthwile please be employed there???  Oh wait - they fired all the experienced engineers.

Telkom won't be my ISP for much longer.

Re: Telkom ISP speed vs Afrihost ISP speed

[ Edited ]

Looking at the new changes brought about in Afrihost, it looks good. After 3 weeks i have not yet received my ADSL line from Telkom s(so i cant really say) and I have already enquired about moving to Afrihost. Yes, the after hours deal is amazing.

@bilbo wrote:

Looking at the new changes brought about in Afrihost, it looks good. After 3 weeks i have not yet received my ADSL line from Telkom s(so i cant really say) and I have already enquired about moving to Afrihost. Yes, the after hours deal is amazing.

Hi bilbo, 

That after hours deal also caught my attention! Combine that with the Afrihost Plus deal, you have so much data! I am getting their 400GB package so I will get 800GB plus unlimited data after hours! Cannot wait Smiley Very Happy 

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Hi

Just a note,

Whoever your ISP is they don't want you to tear them another one. So all give some sort of throttling either via reduced download speeds on peer to peer, gaming or other protocols.

I have telkom,Vox and afrihost as my providers and swop between all of them to keep the fastest speed only my Afrihost account is uncapped and so when my Clientzone Desktop says 6% throttling for say utube I swop for a day to Vox or telkom , it gives them the idea that I'm not a hog, and the speed goes back to normal!

Rather a few cheap accounts than one massive one I say, Do I do more than a Terabyte a month? Sometimes but all with the bait and switch methodSmiley Very Happy

Regards

Unca Paul

About This Post
  • 3 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 Contributors