Telkom Community

Get involved. Problem solved.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Established Member

Telkom's Dishonesty

Anyone around Honeydew Ridge experience extremely snail slow internet. I'm on a 10Mb line but have never reached 5Mbps. Telkom claims that my exchange can reach up to 20Mbps. 2 months I have been waiting for them to fix this problem......and still waiting some more.

image.png

and they charge me for 10Mbps. Crooks!

Highlighted

Re: Telkom's Dishonesty

[ Edited ]

Yup, Im experiencing a similar issue... Im also around honeydew Ridge/manor

https://community.telkom.co.za/t5/Internet-Broadband/Telkom-We-have-a-problem/m-p/1281#U1281

Highlighted
Established Member

Yup. I'm in the Honeydew Ridge/Radiokop area.  For about the last week my pings suddenly jumped from the usual 10ms or so, up to anything between 200 and 650ms. I have a 4 meg line (the fastest speed that sucky Telkom box at the corner of Mozart & Strutt street can do) and still get the download speed I should be getting (well, most of the times anyways). I have tested with the Telkom guest account and with my Afrihost Pay-As-You_Go account and they all give the same speedtest results. I have left the router off overnight, changed the filter and telephone cable, so I am pretty confident the issue is not on my side. I didn't have these ping issues for the whole of 2015.

I have already reported it twice to Telkom's 10210 number in the past week. The first time they SMS'd me back and told me that my line (with my telephone number and reference number) was restored. Not sure what that means. And that was all the SMS said.

The second ime I got the same message (for a different reference number) but this time I had the option to reply within 24 hours with a YES or NO if I feel the problem was resolved. Obviously it wasn't fixed and I responded with a NO. This was yesterday (12 Jan 2016). I got a call from someone at Telkom today to explain what the problem is. I explained my problem and the guy told me that he will forward my issue to the technical department and that they will contact me soon. I also received an SMS stating that my issue (with the new reference number) was assigned to their technical department.

So all I can do for now is sit and wait. No Battlefield 4 though. I am however glad I came here and found this post because it does mean that I'm not the only one in the area having the same problem. It is obvious to me that somebody somewhere made a change and now it affects us all negatively.

Highlighted

I have exactly the same issue as you, Im trying to play CSGO and I get lag spike's ever so often up to 600ms which makes it impossible to play, a few people say that the exchange is conjested apparently.... Well done Telkom!!! You are the best!

Highlighted
Established Member

Haven't had a call from Telkom's tech today. Tonight when I got home (approximately 19h00) I did my usual speedtest and my ping was on average 235ms. Just now however I tested again and it was at 32ms! First time in about a week!

Is it possible that they might be working on the problem, or was it just a fluke? Only time will tell. I will keep this thread updated with my observations. Obviously now I will run more speedtests to see if the situation has been resolved.

Is the latency better for any of you guys?

Highlighted

[ Edited ]

After 6pm the exchange becomes conjested, I get latency of 500ms and up, it fluctuates & its impossible to do anything, I had good service and never experienced these problems until about a month ago when they just decided I should pay for a 2meg line and get 1 meg speeds with latency spikes all the time.. Smiley Sad Smiley Sad Smiley Sad

Highlighted
Established Member

And I knew it was too good to be true. Tonight when I got home, pings sucky as usual.

I did get a call from Telkom as I drove home tonight to inform me that a technician has been assigned and that he/she will phone me if they need access to my house. Let's see what comes of it.

Highlighted
Established Member

[ Edited ]

Ok. so after having received 2 calls from Telkom's technical team the beginning of last week, nothing got resolved. I checked the status of my reference number on their website and it said the call was still open. On Sunday morning I did another speedtest and at 7 in the morning my ping was 520ms!

520ms_Ping.jpg

I resolved to posting a tweet on Telkom's twitter feed stating the problems I am still having wanting to know when it will get resolved. I received another call from a technician today and I explained to him again what the problem is. I was told that he will do a port reset on his side and that I should reboot my router when I get home and then test again. Which I did. So far after 3 speed tests my ping seems better. I tested it at 7PM, 8PM and now again just after 9PM and my ping never went over 30ms.

Let the waiting game begin. My call was closed, but I will keep a very close eye on my ping for the next couple of days, if not weeks. If my ping spikes again, I will log yet another call. I hope you guys get your pings resolved as well.

Highlighted
Contributor

Question r u a gamer
Highlighted
Established Member

Yes I am.

About This Post
  • 38 replies
  • 11 kudos
  • 6 Contributors