Welcome to the
Telkom Community

Get involved. Problem solved.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Frequent Contributor

#TelkomBadServiceMustFall

I joined the community recently since having to deal with a fault since 8 January.  It is obvious that Telkom wants to direct people to this approach where peers can work together to eliminate some repetitive requests that they get so that they can focus on the real stuff.  And for that I laud them.  However dealing with either the 10210 call centre or a Telkom Direct store is just so difficult, I have decided that I will start a thread here (and on Facebook, Twitter, Hellopeter any where I can think of really) to ask that #TelkomBadServiceMustFall ....

Of course I can easily be made to shut up - Telkom only has to address my fault 196BRK080116 that has been open from 8 January for my voice and DSL line.  They keep telling me that they are testing the line from the test centre or exchange or something. 

Alternatively I am open to your suggestions on how I can get attention.  And before Jakes again posts all of the ways in which we can get hold of Telkom - I have tried all of those.  Now I am reaching out to my peers for ideas.

Some more thoughts:

1. How do I get hold of an area manager?  Does someone have contacts - perhaps we need a database of those numbers so that we can address our queries to them?
  2. What about addresses for these testing centres / exchange areas where the technicians are hiding away when they are busy "testing" our lines?
  3. Maybe we could even start a watch list for Telkom technicians in our area so that we can see who does what and when?
Found the answer to your question? Don't forget to Accept the Solution! 

Did you like someone's contribution? Give Kudos where Kudos are due!

Just because something doesn’t do what you planned it to do doesn’t mean it’s useless. – Thomas Edison (Inventor)
Frequent Contributor

Re: #TelkomBadServiceMustFall

Now I am really pumping with enthusiasm.  It has just been confirmed that the Telkom technicians have visited my home and my line is again working as it should.  Sounds like there might be some associated costs but nevertheless it is now up and running...

I wonder which of my social tirades made this happen if any:

• I posted on Facebook and started a the tag line #TelkomBadServiceMustFall ..... i have been commenting all over to show them that I am not going to go away
  • I tweeted with the same hashtag and said fix my problem to make me stop ....
  • I posted a HelloPeter complaint 

I know that continuing to phone the 10210 centre didn't help - they gave me the same answer every day....   

Let's help each other figure out how to get back the level of service that we DESERVE ... I am now committed to be a member of this community and to help others ... will be on here as often as I can be to make it grow and to get what I want from Telkom...  long term goal is to move all of my communication services back to Telkom .... let's say in a year from now ?

Just because something doesn’t do what you planned it to do doesn’t mean it’s useless. – Thomas Edison (Inventor)
Established Member

Excellent suggestions.

Folk in the call centre, when they eventually answer, are reluctant to provide information that will escalate an ongoing problem. Municipalities have the same modus operandi.

Employees are hired to fulfil a function. If they can't perform satisfactorily, they should be retrained. If that doesn't work, they should be fired and replaced. However, this becomes very problematic due to the labour laws that protect the lazy and incompetent.

Just imagine the positive effect it would have if these laws were revised. I don't hire hire permanent staff for my own business due to the potential headaches and wasted time this could create.

Frequent Contributor

@ 1066 wrote:

Just imagine the positive effect it would have if these laws were revised. I don't hire hire permanent staff for my own business due to the potential headaches and wasted time this could create.

Thank @1066 not sure whether the labour laws itself needs to be revised.  I have always looked at those as things that protect both the guilty and the innocent, the employee as well as the employer, so it is all about balance and on balance of probabilities the right outcome should still be achieved by using the existing laws.  I would rather suggest that a mindset change is required, I read that Telkom realised as early as in Nov 2013 that their customers are not exactly their fans - http://www.fin24.com/Companies/ICT/Telkom-Our-customers-hate-us-20131119 - the CEO realised this and said things need to be done to fix this.  In my mind I would like to see where we can find those opportunities to assist them to get a better feel for what it is that makes us hate them, and help them to fix the right stuff, the priority stuff that will make a difference in our perception.  A true voice of the customer approach?

Established Member

Hi j0766

Labour law is a necessity to protect workers and employers - however, they
are no longer fair as elucidated here
http://colettesymanowitz.com/2013/02/05/is-south-africas-labour-law-killing-
entrepreneurship/

Pressure on Telkom was justified and your strategy seems to have elicited
the desired response. From your referred article, Telkom's CEO sees the
problems and seems to have grasped the nettle; only time will tell.

Perhaps the forthcoming elections may play a role in a swell of discontented
voices. Our country is in desperate need of change along with a healthy dose
of courage for those willing to stand up against the current status quo.

Keep up the good work!

Regards

I am really disappointed in Telkom's service. Since 13 December 2015 we have had a constant noise in our landline to the point making or receiving phone calls is useless and we only make a call when absolutely necessary because we are tired of asking the other party to speak louder or repeat themselves. I have elderly parents that I need to be in touch with but how can I do it in a phone line where I can't hear them?

My fault logs are as follows:

66CNK131215 - 13.12.2015

4CNK191215 - 19.12.2015

108CNK231215 - 23.12.2015

5CNK311215 - 31.12.2015

101CNK010116 1.1.2016

I phone Faults and on the first occasion this month, I am told they are waiting for spares. On the second occasion, at 16:50 I am told the technicians have knocked off. Today, I am told that the last time work was done on the problem IN OUR AREA!!!!! was 10 January!!!

Is this what an already irate customer wants to hear when they are expected to pay for a line rental on a service that is of such bad quality? On top of that, I am paying a Service Provider for an ADSL line where I am lucky to have, at most 2 hours of connectivity per day and that is being generous with my estimation. Important information cannot be retrieved because you can't connect???!!!!!! 

The next technician that comes up with "it's your filter" or "have you made sure it is not your equipment" better make sure they are not trying to hoodwink me into believing their nonsense. I may be a woman but I am no dummy either! You know who you are. My hubby may be IT challenged but not me. Listen to what someone tells you and be honest at least. 

Hi Community, I can agree fully with what has been the experience of other community members –

1. Call was logged for two faulty lines on 15 January, Ref 773CRZ130116. We received a call the next day and it was established by Telkom that there was a problem with the lines.
  2. Since then there had been NO activity.
  3. Numerous calls to 10210 and 10217 have the same results: ’Due to high call volumes you have to wait for the next available consultant AND there will be a long delay for the call to be answered’. No consultant ever answers the call and eventually the call drops and you start all over.
  4. Desperately you go the website for ‘quick, convenient on-line assistance’ which should be automatic but the systems have the same slack attitude. You can find your fault report but it never updates with progress – because there is no progress (so, is the website to blame??)
  5. While on the website you try to connect with Telkom via the telephone link or the e-mail link, none of which are active
Frequent Contributor

Hi everyone - glad to see some conversation going on this thread. To @ceosec and @27beatson - you have confirmed a base trend that we have a problem with the tools available, but have also given me some more info with regards to the tools at our disposal to try to understand the real situation.  Let's start with the info from @27beatson - I summarised it as follows:

Timeline.jpg

Over the period of 4 weeks you have 5 calls logged and apart from the very first one where it looks like Telkom tried to quickly shrug it off, on the others I think you had a reasonable time spent on the calls.  Notwithstanding the fact that your issue wasn't resolved, the turnaround and updates seem almost reasonable, and adding the weekends and public holidays in between one can almost say that Telkom has been efficient.  I note from the reference number that these are all with number CNK and I assume now that the first number 66 etc. denotes the sequential number of calls for the day, and I can see the last part denotes the day it was logged on.  A lot one can learn from that information although I need more data to unpack it.  I think CNK is a location or centre that logged the calls although I can't find any reference to that, might also be the type of department?  

On the info from @ceosec - i see a new location CRZ and also that on 13 January there was a lot of tickets 773 is the sequence number.  

In terms of your comments - yip we have established that the call centre itself is problematic, part of the reason for this community forum I would have thought, but piecing it together seems difficult.  The Chat system and self help tools seems to be very variable.  

We will piece the best way to work with Telkom out and communicate it here for everyone to follow, the objective remains the same - how to ensure that we get the service we deserve.  I already know that there is more info that could be shared but is not being shared, and it would seem that some of Telkom's policies and understanding of how to deal with customers prohibit them from doing so.  We will have to change their minds on this ....

[ Edited ]

J0766, if 24 days (101CNK010116 = number 101 fault registered on 1 January 2016) is deemed an "acceptable" period to be stuck with a phone line that you can't hear anything on and intermittent ADSL service, then I shudder to think how long before my issue is attended to. 

on Saturday, 23/01/2016, I had a phone call from Telkom telling me that my persistent problem had a technician allocated and I would hear from them shortly. Well, another working day has gone and not a peep. 

I would also like to point out that a technician came out to us on 26th December 2015 which was a public holiday. When I asked him if they worked public holidays, I was told they did whatever was necessary to attend to a problem. 

Frequent Contributor

@27beatson 24 days is certainly not acceptable. I was merely pointing out that for your separate calls (which I realize is for the exact same issue) it would come across as reasonable.  My guess is that from an incident management perspective your calls are being seen as inside their SLA regardless of whether they have been successful without comebacks.  If considered as a problem I would think you are making progress even if it doesn't feel like it.

all in all I think you are getting better feedback than I did.  Their service is variable and unreliable - on that we agree.  I want to work on seeing how to improve this .... At any cost at the moment as a concerned citizen !!!

About This Post
  • 17 replies
  • 20 kudos
  • 7 Contributors