Welcome to the
Telkom Community

Get involved. Problem solved.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Terrible ADSL syncing speeds

Good day, I currently have a 2mb line with Telkom, but I get very bad speeds, I checked my downstream noise and line attenuation and this does not look good:

SNR:  5.1

Attenuation:36.9

Is there any way to improve the attenuation or SNR as currently I am syncing at 1024 downstream.  I have contacted telkom to upgrade my line and they said a 4mb option is available, but will it be worth it looking at my SNR and Attenuation  ? 

Established Member

Re: Terrible ADSL syncing speeds

How does one check for Attenuation and SNR? Been havingoba a bit of an issue with my internet speed lately
Valued Contributor

Hi @digitals27 & @AzadNcalane,

Yes, you need a reliable DSL line before you look at speed upgrade. I had similar slow DSL issues last year & migrated to fibre as soon as it was available - no issues since.

If fibre isn’t an option for you : -

Connectivity problems on ADSL services can be caused by many different factors, often making it difficult to pinpoint where the fault lies.

When your line is synchronising at lower speeds than it should, or if you’re experiencing intermittent drops in connectivity, one place to start is your DSL connection statistics - you can find them by logging into your ADSL router (look for wording such as signal-to-noise ratio (SNR), and line attenuation - sometimes referred to as resistance).

The higher the SNR the better, and the lower the attenuation the better.

• SNR should be at least 6dB, but preferably higher than 9 or 10dB.
• Attenuation/resistance should be below 55dB, but preferably lower than 45dB

While little can be done if your line attenuation is too high due to distance from the exchange or old copper line quality, there are a few things you can try to improve your SNR : 

The first step is to eliminate any potentially faulty equipment between your ADSL router or modem and the telephone jack.
This includes POTS filters (often the cause of issues with DSL connections) and telephone line extensions. Such equipment is often first to get damaged when lightning hits your phone line, and to ensure they are not causing noise on your line they should be disconnected temporarily.

Other equipment connected to the same jack as your ADSL router or modem, such as telephones, should also be removed while testing.

If the source of noise on your line still not found : -

is your router or modem faulty?

Try connecting another modem to see if you get similar SNR readings from it.

Electric fences     :  A faulty security fence can cause impulse noise on an ADSL link. This will cause the line to run errors and drop intermittently. In severe cases the ASDL line will not sync at all. Check for any arcing from the fence due to cracked or faulty isolators, as well as for plants or any foreign objects touching the fence.

If nothing you test improves the SNR then report a fault to Telkom for a technician to come out and check your line.

Hope this helps, good luck.

Established Member

I will definitely try this out. I have even changed a router because my speed has been slowing down whenever I download but when I check it on speedtest.net it seems okay. There might be something wrong with my connections between the telephone line and the router
Highlighted

I don't know so much, I have a 10mpbs account that never gets more than about 4.2mbps on the "openserve"  online test (http://telkom-saix.speedtestcustom.com/) keep in mind the DurbanSAIX i am using for the test is only 2 km away from me.

So far they have looked at my line an stated that the moden and line are fine and the port needs to be reset or changed. I got a call yesterday to say they have done the work on their side and will monitor the line for the next few days.

I have tested a package from another provider on the line and get much hoigher speeds (8.6mbps using an unshaped/throttled account)

At the end of the day Telkom may be the problem here. As they remain cheaper especially for a larger family I am waiting for them to finalize thier tests and if I have no luck will downgrade my package to a 4mbps line for the family  and then get a broadband solution for myself

Valued Contributor

Hi @Badballie

Thanks for this, you proved your line will support the higher speed so Telkom port reset & new settings at the exchange  should fix it.

Will be very helpful to see what happens after Telkom tests , please do keep us posted .

Frequent Contributor

Seems that you are only provisioned with a 4Meg line on Openserve.

You have proved that using another carrrier gives you more what your line can handle.

The are two parts to a Telkom account. There is the actual speed your line is set up to handle and what the billing system is set for.

Resetting a port won't fix this. 

ADSL uses Telkom's systems from end to end even if you choose another ISP. You need to complain to Telkom that they must change your account speed to 10Meg as it seems Telkom has stuffed up again.

[ Edited ]

My line is a 10mbps line, this has been confirmed by Telkom themselves. and is reflected on the Router itself.Capture.PNG

As for faster speeds, that other provider gives me a healthy and steady 9mbps service, so while Telkom has obviously stuffed up, line speed is not the problem, the line is set to the correct speed and handles the speed without a problem.

Just to close this off  my reason for coming back was to report that I have cancelled the Telkom service (they still manage the line for now) and have moved to Afrihost permanently and have not had a problerm since.

About This Post
  • 7 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 5 Contributors