on 25-07-2019 10:49 PM
Is anyone else having an issue accessing the Ubisoft website or opening Uplay when on a Telkom ADSL account? I tested an Afrihost account and a Webafrica account which both load any Ubisoft related services perfectly fine but as soon as I switch back to my Telkom ADSL account, it throws an error saying the server could not be found.
Not really sure what I can do to resolve this so any help will be great
Solved! Go to Solution.
on 26-07-2019 01:15 PM
Phoned Telkom support to do a port recreate on my line. Still unable to access any Ubisoft related servers.
A friend of mine in JHB has a 10 meg uncapped ADSL account with Telkom and his is working fine.
on 26-07-2019 04:16 PM
I am also unable to access any UBISOFT (uplay) games or websites.
I am on a 10mb ADSL Telkom line . I have also tried on my LTE for PC, XBOX ONE and PS4.
Please let me know if you find out anything.
on 31-07-2019 08:15 AM
Was resolved about 2 days later...not sure exactly where the issue was because a bunch of my mates with other ISPs could access it perfect when I couldn't. I did try with other ADSL accounts and it worked, just didn't work on Telkom but it seems to be alright now.