Important! Community will be closing.

Please go to gethelp.telkom.co.za
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Established Member

Who is the person I can see personally to resolve our ongoing issues in Western Cape?

I need to go sit across a desk from a senior person who can knock heads together.

Our telkom line has physically broken on four occasions since the 9th of November.

Backstory: In October (ish) 2015 our Copper line was stolen. It took two weeks before a tech arrived at our premises, and once he was arrived at our premises he had no idea what was wrong. Eventually he drove out, found the line was cut and removed and then put in a "temporary fix."

He told us that they would need to implement a "permanent repair" and that there would be downtime soon after. We had Internet and a Telephone, so we were happy to wait for the permanent fix.

Now, on the 9th of November 2016, the line went dead again. I called and logged a fault, and after multimple follow ups and arguments with telkom callcenter a tech called me on my cellphone asking why no one was answering at the house since he was trying to book an appointment. This was on the third day after reporting the fault and explaining (at least seven times) that the line was dead there was no handset dial tone.

He came to the house, told my wife that the line fell down because "it looks like someone put in a temporary fix." I had explained to him on the phone that the line was broken a year ago as well.

He put in a "temporary" fix, and told us that they would need to put in a permanent fix, and that our line speed would be affected while they were getting the permanent repair ready. We dealt with 3meg on our 10meg line until the 18th of November when the line went dead AGAIN.

Again a call was logged. Again it took days before a tech was assigned, and AGAIN the callcenter agents and the techs had no idea of the fault and they tried "fixing it remotely sir."

Eventually another "oh yes the previous fix was temporary" and now we had 7megs.

Slowly but surely our line speed dropped to 5megs and I logged a fault, and soon after that our line went noisy and ADSL stopped working on the 4th of Dec. Another three days of getting a tech here, and this time the line was "rusted" elsewhere and he repaired it.

On the 18th of Dec our line went dead again, and I ran out of the house to where the previous break was to find two vagrants lying next to the broken line. They were arrested on suspicion of damaging the line (case number sent to Telkom) and they claimed it fell down. I leave that one to the courts to figure out.

Now it is the 21st, and I was just told by the call centre agent that no technician was assigned yet because they are "trying to fix it remotely sir."

We have been called by Telkom after the 4th of December fault and offered a free "Always On" to compensate us for our troubles, but this has yet to materialise.

I require:

- A person who I can motivate to get my line fixed today.

- Telkom Alway On to be provided as offered by Telkom.

- A rebate for my cellphone call costs to 10210 (~R500) and Internet costs to run our home business (~R1000) since the 9th of November.

Who can I go see to get this sorted? Yelling at call centre agents are counter productive and I believe in remaining amicable when speaking with them, even though it is hard to hide my utter frustration when they try and "let's do a port reset" or "no technician is assigned, no I cannot call my manager, no I don't know who you can talk to at the local technical office, no I cannot give you the name of someone to help you."

Please help me out here, I am at my last with this nonsense.

Highlighted
Established Member

Re: Who is the person I can see personally to resolve our ongoing issues in Western Cape?

Just on the phone with Telkom now again. It has been escalated this morning, but as of now nothing has been done yet.

I have the name of a manager, Mr Davidz who is of course not available.

I have an escalation number which means nothing, and I have spent another R200 on airtime while holding to Telkom techs who tell me "a technician has not been assigned yet."

I am in the mood to start putting the names and direct numbers of telkom managers as I am given them up on this post so that you all can start irritating them directly with your faults.

Highlighted
Established Member

Re: Who is the person I can see personally to resolve our ongoing issues in Western Cape?

I have now managed to speak with Mr Davidz, and he has managed to "jump the queue" to get my fault assigned to a technician. When I managed to speak with him (it took three calls) he at least tried to help where he could, and he provided me the names of his senior, as well as his senior's manager.

I have emailed his manager, and will await the response from Mr Naidoo and Mr Jolly and post it here.

Highlighted
Established Member

I have to just update the thread to say Mr Davidz manager has called back yesterday within minutes of my email, and has called this morning as well with feedback and a commitment to keep in touch until this problem is resolved.

I am glad he is assisting, and hope the issue will be resolved shortly.

Highlighted
Established Member

Unfortunately the technician did not pitch today, and Mr Davidz and his supervisor Mr Naidoo are not available since this afternoon to assist. The last time I spoke with Mr Davidz he assured me that the technician will still be here today, but he seems to be under the impression that Telkom technicians keep their word.

I have to report that he is mistaken.

I am now holding, again, to find the next superior, again, to get me a commitment, again.

I doubt my issue will be resolved, but I shall now endeavour to be a thorn in the collective sides of telkom managers until such time my issue is resolved.

Highlighted
Established Member

UPDATE: The line was fixed on the 23rd, and this morning it is dead again. I expected nothing less from Telkom but a "patch it and get the client of our backs" fix, and they have performed to expectation.

I have hit nothing but brick walls with Telkom, even in the local Telkom shop, and have now got to go and struggle with their reporting and escalation system again where 7days without response is apparently within their turnaround time frame.

@TWL you gave me Kudos for when I say they call me back, how about giving me a contact person who can speed up the permanent resolution of this ongoing problem? Do you work for Telkom?

Highlighted
Established Member

I have been to the telkom shop again today, and have made a call to the Telkom call centre.

I was eventually escalated to a manager Mrs S Vilakazi who told me that she would decide if our repeat fault merits any faster a response than 7-10 working days.

I emailed her, and she responded that according to her this is a new fault, and that she will now have this fault go through the normal procedures. Apparently three weeks of working Telkom line is acceptable to her.

I have now asked for her managers details that I may lay another complaint. I wager she will not provide it.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

No wonder this country is in such trouble with every SOE being run like this.

I find that I get the best response by tweeting the hell out of Twitter to @telkomsa

Unfortunately some of our hard earned money is used to pay for this website where Telkom can get free support for their customers since we all feel sorry for each other.

There may be a Telkom employee that reads this forum but we are all members of the public just like your good self.

Good luck bru!

Highlighted
Established Member

Well.

I have to update the saga for you then.

At the Telkom shop I arranged for their callback service and was put into contact with a technician because a fault number needed to be assigned to my case. I then badgered my way through to a superviser who advised me that she will decide if our fault is serious or frequent enough to warrant escalation. I did also email Mr Naidoo who has been working on my case.

I told her the whole story, and she remained adamant that she would be the final authority on if our fault warranted a response quicker than 7-10 working days.

Welp, later in the day I got an email from her saying that she thought that since the previous fault was closed on the 23rd we have a new fault and that our fault would follow standard procedures - 7-10 working days.

I decided to take matters into my own hands. I took my networking kit, walked around the house and then fixed our line my own **bleep** self. I then proceeded to mail her and Mr Naidoo to inform them that I have done what was needed to fix the fault.

That was the bad.

I called Telkom as well that night to make sure that everything was notified etc, and got in touch with the most helpful telkom callcenter agent to date. Julian (I don't have a surname, I think it is Vilakazi) not only took down my story with proper dilligence, he also helped me to activate our sim that we (finally) got that morning, and helped us to activate the promised always on that was also set in motion at the telkom shop that morning.

The next morning (the Friday) I got a call from Mr Naidoo who informed me that he was extremely upset at the state of affairs, and that he was personally seeing to our fault. He was adamant that what had happened to us was not acceptable, and he had a technician's schedule cleared for us, and within an hour or so after his call a tech arrived at our house and started the work of fixing our problem.

The wheels have been set in motion to dig a trench to hide our (and our neighbors) lines from the vagrants and weather, and they seem to be making actual work of it.

I will inform if things do not happen as promised, I spotted the tech in our neighborhood near where the fault currently persists, and I hold thumbs that everything will be resolved permanently.

About This Post
  • 8 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 Contributors