Welcome to the
Telkom Community

Get involved. Problem solved.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Established Member

no service since 28th Jan

I had no adsl on monday the 28th Jan so logged a fault via sms. After 3 days I got and sms saying the fault had been fixed. Problem is that the fault was not fixed and now I had no landline either. I reported again via sms and to date have been without service. To put it in plain language it has been a nightmare trying to get a technician to attend to the fault. I have however had 2 visits from telkom people who can solve my problem if I install fiber. So am I beng held hostage here untill I eventually go to fibre in desperation. Still no technician still no phone and after 8 hours backwards and forwards to the telkom office in the Pavilion I have been lent a wireless modem so I can at least get some conectivity.

Come on telkom I was always a strong supporter but I am starting to loose my patience.

Occasional Contributor

Re: no service since 28th Jan

[ Edited ]

Hi

support@telkomsa.net  is the best way to communicate I have found.

Have You asked the Tech why they say got to Fibre? Is it in your Street?

Telkom will transfer you to fibre, if it's in your street, for free, as they are sick an tired of replacing stolen copper. Not that this may be your case.

But get more info and share it with us on this forum

Regards

UncaPaul

Highlighted
Established Member

If only it was that simple. I have contacted and tried every available option to try and resolve this and get my service fixed. Belive me, I have better things to do than spend time on a Telkom forum, but have been reduced to this in desperation to get some assitance. Technicians never said to get fibre, salesmen did, and since I logged this fault I have had salesmen comming to see me trying to sell me fiber. It would seem they get a tip off from the technical guys and rush out to make a sale. Just saying. I would be happy just to see a technician in the street, or even driving around, at least I would know they still existed, and maybe one would eventually  attend to my fault. I have spent 8 hours standing in Telkom offices trying to get somone at retail to try and contact the guys who are supposed to fix things, let alone contacting support, but thanks for your input. 

Occasional Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi Grumpy

Sorry Since the context said  "To put it in plain language it has been a nightmare trying to get a technician to attend to the fault. I have however had 2 visits from telkom people who can solve my problem if I install fiber"

I was under the impression you were talking to a tech, That been said you are in the unique position many of us are not. Fibre in our street!

http://mybroadband.co.za/news/adsl/153622-telkom-moving-adsl-users-to-fibre-to-the-home.html.

"“DSL customers who are currently on 2Mbps, 4Mbps, and 8Mbps DSL products can now, for no extra charge, move across to the more stable and reliable fibre network,” said Telkom."

So this is the well known secret in our IT comms community "Telkom doesn't want ADSL problems and is aggressively trying to move you to Fibre"

Now I know this is the future and in 10 Years time copper down our street will be a thing of the past!

My Copper 10Mbs is R699 per month @ the moment. Are you slower?

Below Telkom Pricing

Package

Data Cap and ExtrasMonthly Price (24 months)

10Mbps Fibre50GB + free DStv ExploraR699
10Mbps DSL50GB + free DStv ExploraR699
90Mbps LTE50GB + free Huawei B593 LTE RouterR699

It just makes sense for me to move if it comes to my area

Would you not agree?

Regards

UncaPaul

Established Member

My problem right now is that I dont have any service. It is immeadiate. My phone and adsl are not working.  I am not earning a living whilst without service. I understand technology and that eventually we will all have fiber and drive electric cars. My problem is that right now I am unable to get service. My phone is broken. Does not work. No one will fix it. So my problem is right now. I could care less about the future. I need my phone and adsl right now. Why is it impossible for a technician to come out and fix the problem. Why has it taken 10 days and still nothing. It will take 3 weeks for a fibre cable to be run to my house. Are you suggesting that I should continue for 3 weeks without a phone and adsl until it is done and they can connect me up so that I can have a service.  Why should I be held to ransom because Telkom cant or wont send a technician out to repair my line in the hopes that I will in desperation switch to fibre to sort out their problems with copper.

Just fix my phone Telkom. It is very simple. Or maybe not, as they descend the slippery slope to a failed organization.

Occasional Contributor

[ Edited ]

Boet

Someone stole your cable... did they tell you that?

No Phone is the clue.

Either the main trunk cable is fried and usually due to lightning

or The pairs in the cable are all used up and you are Kiepie who is piggy in the middle or in Musical Chairs

parlance "without a seat"

Go across to a neighbour and see if they have a telephone line working

Then its the pairs story

if not

Stolen or fried cable or water logged

That's a B i t c h! I had a client in Wadeville GP that waited 4 weeks for water logged cables

a 20K fix 4 4 weeks is what we gave them. And as a business they paid gratefully! But u don't want to know that. Its just if we get involved,

it costs a packet!

So the facts MAY be these.

1.Stuffed or stolen cable

2.No more pairs available.

3.underground cable fault which costs thousands to replace (not gonna Happen!)

4.Property inter cable on poles where properties back onto others with access from the road behind you( even more problematic (Also not gonna Happen!) 

WE can't give you solutions on this forum for what can't be fixed (fast), just reasons to what you might not have been told.

Regards

UncaPaul

New Contributor

I disagree with @UncaPaul we are here so we can also give advise, wait another 3 weeks ? NO. Go to Telkom office and insist on getting a loan LTE/3g Router en ensure that the data you use, via this method comes of your ADSL data package.

I endeavor to assist in application of Computer technology where ever I can assist.
Occasional Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi

Actually I Also agree with @charlesmeyer . Doing what you can to get Internet back is also what you can try, and if you can swing getting a mobile solution for the interim or even until the problem is sorted out, well and good. Hence the reason we have Senior Members. Look at all the advice we are given and use that info to get the best resolution to the problem.

So if @charlesmeyer knows that they will give you a loan LTE, then go for it, as a ADSL (fixedline) user I have never needed to request that facility, and since Charles knows it's available Kudos to him, We learn each one of us the ins and outs of Telkom, and the solutions others may not know of!

Regards

UncaPaul

About This Post
  • 7 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 Contributors