Telkom Community

Get involved. Problem solved.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Re: Cannot connect to certain sites

Hi

Cant access https://www.atwork.co.za/login

It is the financial planning software i use for work, daily, all day...

Stopped working Monday this week.

I am having to hotspot my cellphone to get access to this site - works from any other wifi network or cell hotspot on MTN and Voda. 

Literally only have the ptoblem when on the Telkom LTE router

Moderator Moderator

Hi, like I said, there are some DNS issues in the Durban (New Germany) area as well as Bellville and Bronberg.

If you pick up any of the following DNS on your connection, please try and change to one of our other DNS sites.

• New Germany: 196.43.54.190
  • Bellville: 196.43.46.190
  • Bronberg: 196.43.50.190

Change to the following addresses

• Rosebank: 196.43.38.190
  • Pretoria: 196.43.45.190
  • Johannesburg: 196.43.42.190
  • Durban: 196.43.53.190
output_Svao80.gif

Please can someone fix this issue. I cannot get into 3 important sites for me.
Www.jexree.co.za
Www.xe.com
Pgatour.com

There are more, plus I cannot get any emails on certain domains.

I have edited my DNS server to the Durban IP as mentioned. Same problem.

I can connect fine through my adsl (Afrihost). Definitely a telkom problem.

Highlighted

We have had same experience since mid-December 2016 where key websites cannot be accessed, some being university sites, banking sites, etc.  We are in the Glenwood, Durban area.   We do have a fault ticket still open but no technician has made contact with us.  Please help urgently.   We have uncapped LTE. 

We have the same issue, also in Durban. It has been about 4-5 weeks of frustration. Call centre staff say there is nothing they can do, but they know it is a problem. It may be coincidence but all the sites I cant access are https, however it doesnt apply to all https connections. I cannot change the DNS server because the Huawei router that was provided with my LTE contract doesnt have DNS server settings.

Established Member

I have the same problem, Playstation Network is not working BUT more worringly MY Business FNB payments not being authorized. Yet It works on my CellC LTE connection. I have Telkom LTE. I tried the DNS settings, yet still no help. Telkom PLEASE help. Wthout Business FNB , my Business is badly affected.

Established Member

[ Edited ]

Dear Moderator.

I have played with this for days now, trying to find a pattern.  It's very erratic, but some sites consistently will not open:

-  Wootware is never accessible,

- Sky news is often not accessible,

- Adobe Africa is often not accessible,

- BBC was unavailable, but now is.

- University of Cape Town is not available.

This is AFTER I changed the DNS address from automatic to those listed in your message (Because I an in Durban, I have used 196.43.53.190).

I agree with other frustrated users, though.  This is not good enough.  Surely Telkom's DNS issues should not be allowed to become problems for your customers for so long.

Established Member

[ Edited ]

Forgot to say in my previous post that the problems seem to relate more strongly to HTTPS sites (but not always).

Established Member

NOW I see that Java is not working or loading. Telkom has to sort this problem out!

Established Member

[ Edited ]

With the hope that Telkom may have repiared their internet domain, I reset the DNS settings to default (obtain automatically).  Same old thing - many sites are not accessible, or are very slow:

Additional examples:

THEN.....   I set the DNS again, this time to Johannesburg (196.43.42.190) and "Hey Presto" things are much better - all sites above (EXCEPT FOR WOOTWARE) suddenly work.

I hope the technicians will find this helpful.  Of course, it is not a satisfactory solution to have to set one's own DNS, and I no longer have the benefit of DNS redundancy, so please do not take the foot off the gas!   Please message me when the technicians have an answer.

About This Post