Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Google Play Movies launches in South Africa

[ Edited ]

google-play-movies-goes-live-users-will-have-to-update-their-apps.png

For those cord cutters who prefer to do things the legal way, Google joined the many options suddenly available to South Africans who get their movies online. On the 17th February 2016 Google Play Movies launched in South Africa. That means you can now save a trip down to the DVD rental store by going on to the Google Play store and rent or even buy a movie.

Movies are available from all major Hollywood studios and rentals range between R11.99 - R34.99 with new releases priced at between R29.99 – R34.99. To purchase a movie will set you back between R89.99 - R149.99. An added bonus for Telkom customers is to pay using Google Play Store Billing where the item can be purchased using airtime or put on your Telkom Account!

When renting a movie, you get 30 days to watch the movie before it expires. Once you click the play button, you then have 48hrs to complete watching the movie.....so no more late return fines.

You will be able to watch a movie through a host of different means such as Android and IOS devices like a phone or tablet, Android media players, Chromecast or Android TV, and certain Smart TV's. Of course you will also be able to watch on your PC using your browser.

google_play_movies.JPG

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: Google Play Movies launches in South Africa

We are spoilt for choice.  I think the thing that still gets me though is the lack of integration.  I like to watch movies on my TV, but I'm not going to rush out to buy a new TV just to fit a new available technology.  I bought an AppleTV a while ago and that allows me to watch YouTube, Apple iTunes movies and even Netflix now.  ShowMax = not available, and a bunch of the other new ones also not working or available as there is no app.  This Google Play movies I understand I can play through YouTube if I purchased it, haven't check on rentals yet, but I would have to buy it on a phone or Google Play connected device and then it is available on my YouTube account to watch ... still feels very complicated and not slick ... a lot more work needs to be done for these things to work - and it should be afforable which means not sold in dollar terms ...

Found the answer to your question? Don't forget to Accept the Solution! 

Did you like someone's contribution? Give Kudos where Kudos are due!

Just because something doesn’t do what you planned it to do doesn’t mean it’s useless. – Thomas Edison (Inventor)
About This Post
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 Contributors