Welcome to the
Telkom Community

Get involved. Problem solved.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted

Keep disconnecting from online games every 4:13 minutes or so

So I have recently upgraded to Fiber internet in the past week. Ever since then I am not able to stay in an online game for longer than 4 minutes and 13 seconds without getting disconnected and then I have to manually recconect. If anyone has a solution or fix to this please help. It's getting frustrating as we contacted Telkom and they identified a buffering issue but after 3 days still no fix.

Re: Keep disconnecting from online games every 4:13 minutes or so

I also changed to fiber and can't stay connected on any games for more than 4 and a half minutes. And no one could help me yet.

Regular Contributor

@mvjaneke, @dacha2505 found this on MyBB. It is regarding the Netgear router for VDSL/FTTH

1. Access router menu from a browser on the PC with 10.0.0.2

2.         Username: admin

Password:  admin

3. Go to “Advanced”

4. Click on “Setup”  ( Make sure it is “Setup” and not “Advanced Setup”)

5. Click on “Internet QoS”

6. Enable “Internet QoS” and “Apply”

Modem will reboot

Only downside to this setting is on 100Mbps FTTH, for some reason QoS enable reduces Modem speed from +- 92-97Mbps via LAN to 60-65Mbps

Maybe you can find what the QOS is prioritising that decreases the speed. It is probably saving some bandwidth for other applications.

Established Member

Did any of you manage to sort this issue out? Im experiencing the exact same thing, every 5 minutes I get DC from any online game, this is the same for apps like Skype or even Teamspeak, its really frustrating. I see there is a setting to change within the Netgear Router "QOS"

I will attempt this tonight, Please if anyone has successfully fixed this problem if you could drop me a reply in saying so I would appreciate it very much.

Established Member

Hi Guys

So after a month of testing Ive solved the problem as to why my fibre was DC every 5 or so minutes from ANY online multiplayer game or even whilst connected to Skype and Teamspeak no matter what I did I was DC within a 5 minute bracket. In saying this I have solved the issue and I am now connected without a single DC, no packet loss nothing of the sort! Follow these steps below ...

Step 1

open up "run" command on your desktop simply by hitting your windows key on your keyboard or just by clicking the start button, type "run" and hit enter. Once this is done in the "run" window you have just opened type "prefetch" and hit enter, a window will open up, highlight and delete everything in this folder. Once this is complete you need to repeat the steps by opening another instance of the "run" window, only this time you type "%temp%" a different window will open and again highlight all and delete everything.

Step 2

Log into your router and navigate to the option "WAN setup" this you can find under "Advanced" then "Setup" I am using the Telkom provided Netgear Router. Once you locate "WAN setup" you need to select the check box for "Default DMZ Server" once you select this option ON you need to provide an IP Address, simply use the IP your PC has been assigned. Your router will restart and presto! Job Done.

Hope this helps, it did for me Smiley Happy

I am having the same issue. The DMZ Server did help but only for one specfic computer/console. Also not to mention the numerous security warnings against doing this in the manual. There has to be a better fix then that. Also considering this trouble started all at one time for people, it may be possible that Telkom pushed some setting change and/or firmware change to all its devices connected to alter the network settings. This may have caused these issues. Though I am not sure. 

Also on Fiber. Trouble also started few weeks ago. Also using Telkom supplied NETGEAR VEVG2660-1TKSAS.

Any further help or ideas? 

Established Member

[ Edited ]

Hey there bud, 

Please do us all a favour, and turn the DMZ off before I see the next post on here being: "My PC WAS HACKED PLS HELP"

You should not need to put a PC into the DMZ to get decent play. 
The DMZ is a dangerous place and should be reserved for servers that are FULLY locked down against hackers. You're opening ALL ports, and relying 100% on the software the machine the ports are forwarded to. Any services or vulnerabilities that exist on that machine are fully exposed to the internet unless that machine is running a software/hardware firewall.

With individual port forwarding, you're only opening what you need, usually for the purpose of hosting a service (ie: FTP server, game server). With individual port forwards, it is only a security risk if the services running on those ports have vulnerabilities.

You can enable uPNP on the router - which should also do the trick.

Let me know before your PC becomes someone's DDOS zombie. 

Regards,

Yes, I have turned it off. I know it is not safe. But tbh I dont know why port forwarding anything would solve the issue if most of the online gaming is done normally without port forwarding. Unless you hosting your own game server there is no need (or shouldnt be) to Portforward. 

UPnP is on by default. QoS is off by default. Turning that on seems to have made an improvement without needing to PF. But if it starts disconnecting again I will update. If I don't update assume QoS worked.

[ Edited ]

Referring to this fix recommended:

@thesuspect wrote:

@mvjaneke, @dacha2505 found this on MyBB. It is regarding the Netgear router for VDSL/FTTH

1. Access router menu from a browser on the PC with 10.0.0.2

2.         Username: admin

Password:  admin

3. Go to “Advanced”

4. Click on “Setup”  ( Make sure it is “Setup” and not “Advanced Setup”)

5. Click on “Internet QoS”

6. Enable “Internet QoS” and “Apply”

Modem will reboot

Only downside to this setting is on 100Mbps FTTH, for some reason QoS enable reduces Modem speed from +- 92-97Mbps via LAN to 60-65Mbps

Maybe you can find what the QOS is prioritising that decreases the speed. It is probably saving some bandwidth for other applications.

I made this change 2 days ago & I spend lots of time on Skype calls.

Beforehand I was always impacted with this issue. It was so frustrating as I had so been looking forwards to an improved experience with FTTH - and this was a serious blow for me.

However - I haven't had any issue since applying this change 2 days ago.

I have a Netgear router and it solved my issue.

Thank you for the great comment. Hoping that Telkom can still fix the buffering issue - and at least to communicate this fix to FTTH users with Netgear routers.

This solution has been working perfectly the last 3 months. But this morning it seems back again. 

Configuration for QoS is still active on the Netgear router.

Anyone else have this problem?

I was on a Skype conference call on my laptop connected via Telkom FTTH. Was missing ~10sec of the call at a time.

Then - to try troubleshoot if it was the connection - I joined the call in parallel on my mobile over Vodacom 4G - no issue. I could hear both calls in parallel - and in cases where FTTH connection dropped speech for 10sec - connection via Vodacom was fine.

About This Post
  • 9 replies
  • 10 kudos
  • 7 Contributors