Telkom Community

Get involved. Problem solved.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Established Member
Accepted Solution

My line speed is not what Telkom told me it was

A good few months ago we were called by Telkom and told that for a relativley small amount,about R79.00 as I recall, we could upgrade to 20mbps. I am certainly no boff with these matters but when I checked our line speed on the Telkom website it registered only 10mbps.

I  have no idea what is going on other than we have been paying for a service for months that we have not been getting. The reason I looked into this is because our Internet is very slow since the so-called change. Vox are our internet service providers and they have checked on their side and everything is in order with Vox.  Where do I go from here?

Frequent Contributor

Re: My line speed is not what Telkom told me it was

howzit @burgsie was the order to upgrade the line placed/completed.  the support agents @HelloTelkom would be able to check if your sync rate is the same as your service speed. if it is lower, I'm sure it can be adjusted. it will depend whether the order was placed/completed though... something tells me you are being charged that extra 79 bucks.

Established Member

No improvement whatsoever.

Yes, we are paying the R79 extra.

I have had calls from a call centre after reporting it to Hellopeter.

I spotted a technician around the corner from my home and stopped to chat to him. He was checking our line and subsequently came to our home. The line appears to be OK but the speed he could not adjust. He reported it to “someone” who was going to sort it out. This was obviously not done.

See the attached now worse than ever.  img-170208063435-001.jpgimg-170208063533-001.jpgimg-170208063628-001.jpg

Pathetic.

What options do I have other than Telkom for “ADSL”? Vox are my Internet service providers. Can you help?

Thank you,

Burgsie

Frequent Contributor

hi @burgsie it looks like there could be a fault on the line. latency is high, as well as jitter. best to report this and have a tech investigate.

I have had the same problem for a few months now and it is still not solved. I subscribed for 10Mbps upgrade and my speeds have not reached 6Mbps. When i phone I am told by telkom that the fault is still with the technical department and I then get an SMS to say the fault is resolved but the speeds are no faster than 5Mbps. Most times it is around 4,6Mbps. I have been billed for the new service for two months and when I phoned the accounts department, i am told that there is nothing they can do and that I need to phone another department for assistance. I have spent a lot of company time trying to resolve. Does anyone know how I can get to someone senior in telkon to assit me.

Established Member

I have been infromed that Telkom are not able to provide a 20mbps line speed. Does this then mean that I was sold a system which does not exist?  Surely this constitues fraud? Has anyone got thoughts on this and would I have case if it is in fact true that Telkom are unable to provide a service they convinced me to purchase.  I did not ask for the service. Their sales consultant called me to tell me how great it was etc. etc.

Established Member

This has not been resolved!!

Established Member

SO NOW WE ARE BACK TO LESS THAN 10MBPS!!  INSTEAD OF THE INVOICED 20 MBPS
 TELKOM SERVICE REMAINS ABYSMAL!!

Last Result:
Download Speed: 8824 kbps (1103 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 318 kbps (39.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 119 ms
‎2017‎/‎02‎/‎13‎ ‎6‎:‎45‎:‎59‎ ‎AM

Frequent Contributor

I was sold a 20Mbps ADSL service and waited for two weeks without any Internet. Then I was told that in actual fact I can't get ADSL 20, I can only get VDSL 20!

I asked why the sales staff at Fourways Crossing sold me a package which I can't get!

This would mean a new modem so we have now gone back to ADSL 10

If you go to this website, does it tell you that VDSL 20 is your only option?

http://www.openserve.co.za/open/fibre/

Also read this:

http://www.htxt.co.za/2014/01/19/check-adsl-lines-maximum-supported-speed/

About This Post
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 Contributors