Telkom Community

Get involved. Problem solved.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
New Contributor
Accepted Solution

@NCC Disappears gone very quiet or just gave up !!!!!

@NCC

You have been very quiet ??

Tell us all about it.

I endeavor to assist in application of Computer technology where ever I can assist.
Highlighted

Re: @NCC Disappears gone very quiet or just gave up !!!!!

Given up - going elsewhere - too busy to try ALL I have to help Telkom and get empty promises, over and OVER and OVER again. I manage multiple businesses, I don't have time to hold Telkom's hand too. A friend of a friend has a company that does FULL services, Data, VoIP, lines over the LTE network. They use Telkom ADSL line as their fail safe, but primarily the cell network (LTE) together and give 99.9% guarantee of up time.

It is more expensive rental than Telkom, but saving on calls with VoIP, so more or less same end result, if not slightly more in total. But cost not an issue, I'd pay DOUBLE if I got offered 80% uptime. The 50 to 70% uptime with Telkom is pointless, can't operate a business like that, even if you offered me the service for R100 ALL in, it would be pointless as I need more like 90% up time. (can tolerate a few hours every other week, but 4 to 8 hours down every 2nd or 3rd day, pointless.

So taking my 4 Telkom accounts across to new firm, that's R8'000 a month Telkom business gone. But they don't care about that, too small to be bothered over my small accounts.

Thanks for your assistance - good luck with Spermcount (Tell kom)

PS: I now have the joyous task of trying to cancell my contract with Telkom, once the new service is set up - I would think that I am 100% justified to cancell as even Telkom have in private messages in this comunity admitted that it's unacceptable service levels, but even the supposed "managers" don't honour their promises, just make more excuses. So I guess I'll be fighting with Telkom for months more, billing me because I signed a contract and not allowing me to leave, even if they fail to provide me what I am paying for.... SIGH...

Highlighted
New Contributor

@NCCHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I have just started my day with the best laugh ever  (Telkom v Spermcount) well done. Lyk my dit is al wat hulle kan doen.

@NC

@Telkom

I have asked this question else where. @NC, @Telkom What are you people going to do. Please we want to see a plan of action. We want to see it here on the Telkom Community where we are suppose to HELP easy other.

Come on guys do something !!!!!!!!!!!!!

@telkom Management wakeup and smell the roses they aint smelling so good after all. You want your bonusses at the end of the year then do someting to deseve it or els you aint gona get it.!!!!!!!!

You want us to give advice to other Telkom users? well here goes lets all STOP PAYING OUR TELKOM BILLS for a couple of months and then see how quick they fix our problems !!! Dont look at me in that strange way!! THIS IS WHAT TELKOM IS DOING TO US!! Robot MadRobot MadRobot Mad

I endeavor to assist in application of Computer technology where ever I can assist.
Highlighted

What a relief being back here with all the pressure of trying to solve my 3month long saga.

I sent a confirm of new service to a 3rd party provider on Monday morning. Got a call today from the MD who said he and his Technical Director are leaving Bloemfontein for the 5 hour drive to Nongoma to meet and greet and personally do our install. WOW, what service.

They will be connecting our primary business this afternoon when they arrive, then staying the night and doing our other 4 locations tomorrow. That gives them all of tomorrow to test our primary system and see that it works PERFECTLY and make sure all the fail safes are in place.

I get to KEEP my primary Telkom numbers, but they are re-routed at the Exchange so this new company then routes all those calls to their gateway . and the caller ID when we call out is the same Telkom number people know us as... Smiley Happy

@charlesmeyer - I have investigated the VoIP options and these guys seem to know what they doing. He says he needs as little as 1Mbps line speed to have HIGH quality voice. We have tested our ADSL and LTE connection and we have MORE THAN enough to work well. The ping's are exceptional and the noise levels are GREAT. We are 200m from the PRIMARY CELL tower in town and there are very few LTE users in town.

The MD is a VERY good friend of a VERY good business friend of mine. My Business friend does all our POS software and has the same system in his business. We know the "limitations" and those do not affect our business. The advantages over Telkom are "nice to have", but where they score HUGE over @Telkom (SpermCount) is their UP TIME - it's 99.5% up as they use 2 platforms to connect.

They, on my concerns, are also concerned over the ADSL downtime from Telkom in Town, as well as the few Cell Network outages. We suspect that the Cell Towers in town are connected to the same ADSL line to connect us to the rest of the country - although Vodacom say they now have cell tower to tower comms all the way through to Mtunzini where there is a undersea cable exchange (big hub they say) and they have updated their software to fail over to the more stable platform, be it ADSL or Cell towers...

ALL I CAN SAY IS - my relief is that ALL my concerns with the new firm were dealt with, or acknowledged, and when I wrote or called I was spoken to by qualified persons. I mean HELLO, the MD and Technical Director are both coming for the install. If they doesn't show commitment, NOTHING will...

Ow, by the way, 2 days ago we lost one of our 4 landlines coming into our primary store. I reported to Telkom that our line is out - I used the faulty SMS system, and then called 10217, and then 10210 when I couldn't get through on 10217, and they confirmed the report log. My line is still down and no -news from Telkom if they are even doing anything about it. BUT hey, you know what @NC, is doesn't matter, my new Telkom free system is already on route to me...

PS: If telkom do get their system right, all the better, these guys use both ADSL and LTE systems, the more stable and better the ADSL and LTE, the better their systems work, they charge me LESS that Telkom for the rentals, and 30% less for calls, so I save in the long run... So I'm getting BETTER service, for cheaper, using in part the network providers who fails, infrastructure. Wierd that - but hey, we've had the SOC chat before hey...

Highlighted

WOWOWOWOWOWOWOWO...

New service is in - getting 17 to 20 Mbps downstream and 3 to 3.5Mbps upstream...

BUT - they haven't ported the lines yet untill all is set up...

Guess what, the Telkom exchange is down today. Our other businesses and homes where this is not set up yet, has no comms, we have NO phones, no ADSL... but where the system is installed, we have SERIOUS speed, up and down....

I'm so happy I've moved it's not even funny - WOW WOW WOW...

Owe, and even better, when it's all ported, and they have done the install at my house - when I go to Cape Town next weekend for a 10 day holiday, I take my router and VoIP phone with me. When someone calls my Telkom home line number, it automatically routes to my router (Part of the monthly fee - not an extra charge) and I get the call in Cape Town. Also, I get my Internet as normal, and I don't need to pay the hotel for their Wifi, or worry about security over their network. The calls to my business are FREE.

But wait, there's more- Telkom charge about 55c per minute for a national call, these guys charge 45c.... cell calls are also cheaper, can't remember the rate differences... but wait for it - I can call my uncle and cousins in the UK for 17c per minute, a BUCKET load cheaper than Telkom calls. My wife can call her sister in Australia for 20c per minute... all billed per second by the way...

This is a SERIOUS product - and it's CHEAPER than Telkom and FAR better... FAAAARRRR better.

@charlesmeyer you should get hold of these guys. You can offer your MP's mobility connection like never before. If they out for a few days on a road trip, imagine telling them they can go with their secretary and plug in the device at the hotel and get all their internet access on their data account, and any calls get routed to them, no need to use Hotel phone or get a message from the Office in one town when you in another... MOBILE OFFICE personified...

Smiley Happy

Smiley Very Happy

Smiley Very Happy

Highlighted
New Contributor

@NCC
This writing may be a bit after the fact but here goes.

Wow with all due respect the way you put it this, as we would say in the
classics is AWESOME. My question is how many customers do they have in
remote area's like yours? Why should the top dogs come and do the
installation? do they not have technical people that can do this? Does this
now mean that every time you have a problem you have a hotline to the
directors? Are they going to use you as a test site for way out bad Telkom
areas like yours? Its Ok as long as they are upfront.

There product will only be as good as the hardware/infrastructure they ride
on. Are they going to use there own hardware or are they going to ride on
Telkoms LTE which if I remember correctly Telkom denies that they have LTE
in your area, which means they could switch LTE off anytime they like.

I appreciate the fact that you are peed off with "Spermcount" but do not
let your guard down. If I were you which I am not after all your bad
experience with, you know who, I would say to your new provider put your
money where your mouths are let me use your system for at least 3 months
for free and if all is working, as I can sense the excitement in your blog
that you will back pay for 3 months.The proof in the pudding is the eating,
that is reality. Which I know you are well aware of.

As they say in afrikaans ek is n bietjie mostert na die maal.

By the way have the new provider installed and how is it going.?
Highlighted
New Contributor

@NCC

I did not see this but wow it sounds good as I can sense in your post.

As I said in my previous belated reply give it time to settle down, give yourself and the system time to burn in. Not a couple of days but months. All this IT stuff or what ever is like smoke and mirrors to the majority of end users. At heart I am a technical guy and with todays technology, hardware & software designs are moving so fast you have to almost trust what people tell you.

Enjoy your new found freedom??

Highlighted

@charlesmeyer

Lots of questions to answer - I'll try get through it all...

Firstly - I did mention in previous posts - the Directors of this firm are CLOSE friends of a GOOD friend of mine, who does our POS software...

The reason they came and not their tech guys is 2 fold - 1 they are expanding at VERY high rate so they would only have a free Tech to send this week, and becasue I'm going away for 2 weeks from tomorrow, they wanted to get the stuff in LAST week. And 2nd they have not expanded in Northern KZN yet and see a huge scope for business here so wanted to come see the area, and yes to a degree use me as a test site.

To clarify, we are "rural" but not so "remote". The Telkom exchange here has FIBRE OPTIC, connected to the main grid along the N2 near Mkuze, about 60km from us.

ALso, there IS LTE here - it's just that the Telkom call centre SAY there isn't, becasue they don't know. Call centre aren't Telkom so they can only go on what their system says. So it has not been updated yet.

We get between 18 to 20 Mbps downstream and 3 to 5Mbps upstream with latencies between 25 and 60ms with both Vodacom and MTN.

The new system is working like a dream - over the past 2 weeks there has been 7 days of NO telkom landlines and ADSL - (I know becasue some of my friends are upset as they say now that I have an alternate solution, no-one is fighting with Telkom so they are down and when they finally do report they are told Telkom didn't know, no-one reported)... hahaha... so I'm getting loads of firms like the banks, large business like Shoprite, Cambridge, Spar, Pick n Pay etc all asking me what I've done, why have I got and they don't...

So to answer your questions:

Yes I have a direct line to the Directors. They do have IT guys to call and come out, but they are looking to expand here so are putting their own time in to understand the region and market. Since the new system has been in we been up 100% of the time, both internet and voice. We had a day or 2 las tweek where the VoIP ha issues but they resolved that. Our lines are still with Telkom who we requested last week to PORT to the new guys, so it's a waiting game, so for now we have Telkom forwarding our calls from our line, to the new firms exchange, who then route it to us, so this causes some lag that affects the VoIP. But they have resolved that, and it will only imporve once the lines are ported to them.

PS: my mom called her sister who last week imigrated to New Zealand. They spoke for 20min and the charge was R4.97--- yes 20min to New Zealand for less than R5-00... WOW. ANd CHRYSTAL CLEAR COMMS too.

Their control room monitors all our connections on a LIVE platform. Each Tech has an APP on their phone, the Technical Director showed me, where it has what looks like an Excel Spread Sheet with blocks showing the connections they have, if they green it means they up and functioning, if it's orange it means the connection is slow or has high latency, if red, it's down and the APP flashes on their phone. So they know often before their customers when it's down. They then dial in to the system and resolve. He says it's not often.

Currently they say they rely on MTN who offer them great access with "ports" and bandwidth/range and other technical stuff I didn't understand.

They want to run the system with me for 3 months so that they can then use me as a reference in the area to prove it works well and convert firms and groups. Only trouble is that after 2 weeks I'm being asked how others can get this in town, and business associates in other small but busy towns around here are asking too. People mention things at bars or outings and I then get a call the next day asking what I've done, why have I got comms, and such high speeds. And SOOOO much cheaper than Telkom.

Unfortunitly I can't name the firm here, they say they use Telkom, in that they deal with high level admin and tech guys to port lines to them, they offer an ADSL and FIBRE option where they piggy back off the Telkom network, so they don't want to create waves with Telkom...

PS: I "trust" this firm because of the LINK with my Friend. It's my friends "male chicken" on the block if things go horribly wrong - but he has so much confidence in them, and what they doing, and he being it IT too, it was an easier sell to me...

Again good luck here, and with "Sperm Count" -

Ow as I was typing here my mate up the road called to ask if I have internet - I sai I'm ON RIGHT NOW typing - he's been down all day - he's with Telkom. Poor guy. I've put my new firm in touch with him... Smiley Happy

Highlighted
New Contributor

@NCC

I accepted your message as a solution, MOVE ON.

@AW Sent me a private message mentioning my negative input & comments, so be it this is a real world we live in.  I dont beat around the bush, I say it as it is. Take it or leave it or fix it.

Maybe you can send me a private message on info who your new Provider is. I have potential clients in the NW province who already have Internet data & VOIP mix and it is chaos so I am looking out for them for a better provider. This guy is also running a small shopping centre with all the convenient store available in one place.

I am happy that you are happy and I can even see the smile on your face. So enjoy your holiday in farerest Cape. If are driving a Merc and you need service down that way my son Corrie is technical manager at Merc in Somerset West. You have my name if needs be.

Hope your not going to get bored because now you wont have anything to write about.

As I have mentioned before, register on www.mybroadband.co.za and pic a forum to blog on etc. in this Broadband environment.

Let us  how it goes.

Enjoy and God bless.

Charles.

About This Post
  • 8 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 2 Contributors